Quantcast

Scheduling Install and Uninstall Custom Actions

Scheduling Install and Uninstall Custom Actions

Ravi Raj
I want to schedule my custom actions in following manner:
1) Install: CA will run *only after* the installer copies all files to the
respective directories.
2) Uninstall: custom action has completed successfully and then installer
removes the files from the system.

How should I write my custom action? I am using:

<Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_Install"
Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install">NOT Installed</Custom><Custom
Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install" After="InstallInitialize">NOT
Installed AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>

<Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall">Installed</Custom><Custom
Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
Before="InstallFinialize">Installed</Custom>

But this is not working.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Ravi Raj
Ravi

Re: Scheduling Install and Uninstall Custom Actions

robmen
If you are modifying machine state, a better way is to make your custom
action data driven and use Component States to determine when to do work.
You can see that the custom actions in the WiX toolset behave this way.
Lots of the code lives under src\ext and src\ca

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Ravi Raj <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I want to schedule my custom actions in following manner:
> 1) Install: CA will run *only after* the installer copies all files to the
> respective directories.
> 2) Uninstall: custom action has completed successfully and then installer
> removes the files from the system.
>
> How should I write my custom action? I am using:
>
> <Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_Install"
> Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install">NOT Installed</Custom><Custom
> Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install" After="InstallInitialize">NOT
> Installed AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>
>
> <Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
> Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall">Installed</Custom><Custom
> Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
> Before="InstallFinialize">Installed</Custom>
>
> But this is not working.
>
> --
> Thanks and Regards,
> Ravi Raj

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Scheduling Install and Uninstall Custom Actions

Rob Hamflett-2
Are these actions specified as being deferred, so they actually run as
part of the installation script?

Rob

On 05/06/2012 13:52, Ravi Raj wrote:

> I want to schedule my custom actions in following manner:
> 1) Install: CA will run *only after* the installer copies all files to the
> respective directories.
> 2) Uninstall: custom action has completed successfully and then installer
> removes the files from the system.
>
> How should I write my custom action? I am using:
>
> <Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_Install"
> Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install">NOT Installed</Custom><Custom
> Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install" After="InstallInitialize">NOT
> Installed AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>
>
> <Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
> Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall">Installed</Custom><Custom
> Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
> Before="InstallFinialize">Installed</Custom>
>
> But this is not working.

Re: Scheduling Install and Uninstall Custom Actions

Ravi Raj
I found a way by opening (via orca) my previous installer (made by Visual
Studio 2010 basic msi). All the custom actions are using component
conditions. I am not at all comfortable in this. So I am modified my
current installer with following  CAs. Its working great.

<Custom Action="CA_SetBase_Install" Before="CA_Install">NOT
Installed</Custom>
      <Custom Action="CA_Install" After="StartServices">NOT Installed AND
NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>

<Custom Action="CA_SetBase_UnInstall"
Before="CA_UnInstall">Installed</Custom>
      <Custom Action="CA_UnInstall"
After="MsiUnpublishAssemblies">Installed</Custom>

The CAs are working as desired. I want to ask about what is the diff
between this approach and with component approach?

Also If I want to use rollback custom action then how to use it? Should
Rollback be after StartServices and then Install CAs (coz this is how orca
showed me, first rollback followed by install CA)?

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Rob Hamflett <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Are these actions specified as being deferred, so they actually run as
> part of the installation script?
>
> Rob
>
> On 05/06/2012 13:52, Ravi Raj wrote:
> > I want to schedule my custom actions in following manner:
> > 1) Install: CA will run *only after* the installer copies all files to
> the
> > respective directories.
> > 2) Uninstall: custom action has completed successfully and then installer
> > removes the files from the system.
> >
> > How should I write my custom action? I am using:
> >
> > <Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_Install"
> > Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install">NOT Installed</Custom><Custom
> > Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install" After="InstallInitialize">NOT
> > Installed AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>
> >
> > <Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
> > Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall">Installed</Custom><Custom
> > Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
> > Before="InstallFinialize">Installed</Custom>
> >
> > But this is not working.

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi Raj
Ravi

Re: Scheduling Install and Uninstall Custom Actions

Wilson, Phil-2
Component or feature conditions work much better in circumstances like this, a couple of examples that are by no means a complete list.

1. Something breaks in your product that running the custom action would correct. You would ask the customer to go to Add/Remove Programs&Features and use Repair to fix it. The component reinstall would run the custom action and fix it. You don't have that option.

2. The custom action is associated with a feature (or a component) that may or may not be installed depending on the features that are chosen. If that feature or component is not being installed, running the CA is pointless. The same is true if that feature is uninstalled.

Phil W

I found a way by opening (via orca) my previous installer (made by Visual Studio 2010 basic msi). All the custom actions are using component conditions. I am not at all comfortable in this. So I am modified my current installer with following  CAs. Its working great.

<Custom Action="CA_SetBase_Install" Before="CA_Install">NOT Installed</Custom>
      <Custom Action="CA_Install" After="StartServices">NOT Installed AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>

<Custom Action="CA_SetBase_UnInstall"
Before="CA_UnInstall">Installed</Custom>
      <Custom Action="CA_UnInstall"
After="MsiUnpublishAssemblies">Installed</Custom>

The CAs are working as desired. I want to ask about what is the diff between this approach and with component approach?

Also If I want to use rollback custom action then how to use it? Should Rollback be after StartServices and then Install CAs (coz this is how orca showed me, first rollback followed by install CA)?

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Rob Hamflett <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Are these actions specified as being deferred, so they actually run as
> part of the installation script?
>
> Rob
>
> On 05/06/2012 13:52, Ravi Raj wrote:
> > I want to schedule my custom actions in following manner:
> > 1) Install: CA will run *only after* the installer copies all files
> the
> > respective directories.
> > 2) Uninstall: custom action has completed successfully and then
> > installer removes the files from the system.
> >
> > How should I write my custom action? I am using:
> >
> > <Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_Install"
> > Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install">NOT
> > Installed</Custom><Custom Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_Install"
> > After="InstallInitialize">NOT Installed AND NOT
> > UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>
> >
> > <Custom Action="CA_SetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
> > Before="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall">Installed</Custom><Custom
> > Action="CA_GetCustomActionData_UnInstall"
> > Before="InstallFinialize">Installed</Custom>
> >
> > But this is not working.

> --------
> Live Security Virtual Conference
> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the
> latest in malware threats.
> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi Raj
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X 7AW (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities within the Invensys Group, please go to http://www.invensys.com/en/legal/default.aspx.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail [hidden email]. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).

Re: Scheduling Install and Uninstall Custom Actions

Ravi Raj
Well Phil, I got the idea but I am not sure on which component I use this
condition. For basic msi I saw that it used component id of DLL which has
"installer.cs" file but in my case I do not have this file at all.

Also if you guide me the way how to use this component condition for
install, uninstall, repair and upgrade that will be more helpful (some code
will also be great as I am totally new to WiX). :)

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Wilson, Phil <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Component or feature conditions work much better in circumstances like
> this, a couple of examples that are by no means a complete list.
>
> 1. Something breaks in your product that running the custom action would
> correct. You would ask the customer to go to Add/Remove Programs&Features
> and use Repair to fix it. The component reinstall would run the custom
> action and fix it. You don't have that option.
>
> 2. The custom action is associated with a feature (or a component) that
> may or may not be installed depending on the features that are chosen. If
> that feature or component is not being installed, running the CA is
> pointless. The same is true if that feature is uninstalled.
>
> Phil W

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi Raj
Ravi

Re: Scheduling Install and Uninstall Custom Actions

Wilson, Phil-2
It's in the Windows SDK:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa368012(v=vs.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa368561(v=vs.85).aspx