Quantcast

Silent Custom Installation

Srinivas Tirupati

Hi,

Is there any way to do custom installation in quiet mode.

I have 3 features in my msi.

I want to provide the user to be able to install only one of those features on several machines using silent installation.

Is it possible?? If so how ?

What changes must I do in my wix code ?

Thanks and Regards

Srinivas T

Re: Silent Custom Installation

Bob Arnson-6
Srinivas Tirupati wrote:

Is there any way to do custom installation in quiet mode.

Yes, by documenting your feature names so they can use standard MSI features like ADDLOCAL to specify a feature subset.
http://joyofsetup.com/

Silent Custom Installation

Srinivas Tirupati

Hi,

I have a features structure like

RootFeature

 --- ParentFeature1

        --- Feature11

        --- Feature12

 ---- ParentFeature2

        --- Feature21

        --- Feature22

And I installed the product using this command ( silent installation )

Msiexec /i  <product.msi> /qn ADDLOCAL=ParentFeature1

But it did not install anything … L

Same  case with

Msiexec /i  <product.msi> /qn ADDLOCAL=ParentFeature2

Msiexec /i  <product.msi> /qn ADDLOCAL=COMPLETE

All the rest silent custom installations are working fine.

So what might have gone wrong. Or is this by design ??

Thanks and Regards

Srinivas T.

Is there any way to do custom installation in quiet mode.

Yes, by documenting your feature names so they can use standard MSI features like ADDLOCAL to specify a feature subset.

http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: Silent Custom Installation

Srinivas Tirupati

Yes all features have Level="1"

But i found some information from msdn which explains why it didn’t install anything J

(Source :- http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx)

ADDLOCAL Rules:

·         Feature names are case sensitive.

·         To use ADDLOCAL, provide a comma-delimited list with no spaces between the features to install. For example, to install everything except Analysis Services and Reporting Services components, the list would be as follows:

o    ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine,SQL_Data_Files,SQL_FullText,Notification_Services,NS_Engine,NS_Client,SQL_DTS,Client_Components,Connectivity,SQL_Tools90,SDK,SQL_Documentation,SQL_BooksOnline,SQL_Samples,SQL_AdventureWorksSamples,SQL_AdventureWorksDWSamples,SQL_AnalysisServiceSamples,SQL_Samples

·         Selecting a parent feature only installs the parent feature, not the parent and the child. Installing the child feature automatically installs the parent and the child features. Removing the parent feature removes both the parent and the child feature.

So do u have any other idea of how to install the all the child features by just specifying the parent feature name ??

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas T.

Re: Silent Custom Installation

Albert Tuulas-3

Did you try to play with <Condition Level=”1”>  statement inside feature tag? I’ve got no other ideas J

A verbose log file may give more information why your feature was not installed. Did your features have Level="1"? Or any conditions?

Re: Silent Custom Installation

Albert Tuulas-3

I meant something similar to this:

    <Feature Id="Feat1" Title="Feat1"

      <Feature Id="Feat11" Title="Feat11" Level="1">

          <Condition Level="1">ADDLOCAL ~= "Feat1"</Condition>

      </Feature>

~= means case-insensitive comparison. Also you can check

Check that link: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368012.aspx Substring Operators

I’ve an idea that the ADDLOCAL property can be modified by a custom action:

<CustomAction Id="CA1" Execute="immediate" Property="ADDLOCAL" Value="Feat1,Feat11" />

And schedule it like that:

<Custom Action="CA1" Before="CostInitialize"><![CDATA[&Feat1=3]]></Custom>

To make it running earlier.

Although I didn’t try any of these by myself, can’t tell is it really working.

Best regards

Albert

Srinivas Tirupati wrote:

That's SQL doc, not MSI doc. Try Feature/@InstallDefault="followParent."

http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: Silent Custom Installation

Srinivas Tirupati

FYI I am using wix v2.

And if you read the documentation for Feature Attributes

we find this info

Attributes

The remote execution option for features that are not installed and for which no feature state request is made by using any of the following properties.

·         ADDLOCAL Property

·         ADDSOURCE Property

·         ADDDEFAULT Property

·         COMPADDLOCAL Property

·         COMPADDSOURCE Property

·         FILEADDLOCAL Property

·         FILEADDSOURCE Property

·         REMOVE Property

·         REINSTALL Property

·         ADVERTISE Property

Since i use ADDLOCAL to perform silent custom installation …. Using this followParent doent work.

Thanks and Regards

Srinivas T

Re: Silent Custom Installation

Bob Arnson-6
Srinivas Tirupati wrote:

FYI I am using wix v2.

FWIW, as this is about runtime, it's entirely an MSI issue, not related to WiX.

The remote execution option for features that are not installed and for which no feature state request is made by using any of the following properties.

Then I guess it's not going to work. If you must have subfeatures, you'll need to either document them like SQL did or use custom actions to set ADDLOCAL and "wrap" higher-level feature selection.

http://joyofsetup.com/