Splash Screen

wdh61
I'm using WiX 3.6, and I'm having some trouble getting the splash screen to display.  The Bundle builds and installs my packages properly, but it will not show the splash screen.

Here is the entry in my WXS file:
    <Bundle Name="MyProduct  $(var.Version)" Version="$(var.Version)" Manufacturer="MyCompany" UpgradeCode="{FA10C7CF-43BF-43cb-8E9E-1121489BF72F}" SplashScreenSourceFile="Resources\SplashScreen.bmp">

The error message I get in the install log is:

[1050:0728][2013-11-19T15:26:33]: Error 0x80004005: Failed to load splash screen bitmap.
[1050:0728][2013-11-19T15:26:33]: Error 0x80004005: Failed to load splash screen.

I've reduced the size of the bitmap.  It's a bmp file, and I've reduced the number of colors in the image to 255.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

Re: Splash Screen

wdh61
Update

I've also used dark to decompile the bundle, and the bitmap is not getting deployed in the package. Is there something I need to do to get that to happen?

Re: Splash Screen

Phill Hogland
You would be wise to move this question (or post a new question) in the wix-users sub-forum, as this root forum seldom gets responses.
http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/wix-users-f687560.html

I also experienced a lot of difficulty getting my splash screen to display.   In my project, my splash screen is named Splash.bmp (which I think might be a required name).  The Bundle/@SplashScreenSourceFile="Splash.bmp" (even thought the file is actually in my Resources subfolder of the Project folder).  While the doc says a path, as I recall using a path messed things up.  In the Project File, (Unload the Project File and Edit) the file is in an ItemGroup as None Include="Resources\Splash.bmp".  My splash.bmp file (which I believe must have that name) is 500 x 330 pixels, at 72 x 72 ppi, and is 256 color.

When I was using the WixStdBA it started so fast that the splash screen was seldom displayed, which I thought was a problem, but was 'normal' behavior.  With WixExtendedBA and Wix 3.7 or after I switched to Wix 3.8 and used a BAFunction, I could insert a delay as documented at:  http://wixextba.codeplex.com/

Then I changed my project to use a MBA and the splash screen is displayed regularly as the startup is much slower, without the need for a delay.

I hope these details help.  And I hope to see more discussion in the wix-users forum.

Re: Splash Screen

wdh61
The answer is  (at least for me).....

There was something wrong with the bitmap.  I used Gimp to change the size, reduce colors, etc.  Burn just didn't like the output.  In experimenting with the examples in the WixExtendedBA download, I found that the splash screen bitmap included in there would display.  When I opened my bitmap with Paint, and then saved it,  my splash screen started displaying.  I'm sure Gimp can output a suitable file, as there are several options that come up when the Export function is being done for a bmp file.  Just not sure what to set to satisfy burn.  Using Paint is more expedient for now....

Re: Splash Screen

robmen
There was something wrong with the bitmap.  I used Gimp to change the size, reduce colors, etc.  Burn just didn't like the output.  In experimenting with the examples in the WixExtendedBA download, I found that the splash screen bitmap included in there would display.  When I opened my bitmap with Paint, and then saved it,  my splash screen started displaying.  I'm sure Gimp can output a suitable file, as there are several options that come up when the Export function is being done for a bmp file.  Just not sure what to set to satisfy burn.  Using Paint is more expedient for now....

Re: Splash Screen

wdh61
Something odd is going on with the splash screen image processing.  A bmp that is output from ImageMagik won't display either.  (Although it will if I open it in Paint, save and then rebuild the installer) I'm trying to change the product version number at build time in the splash screen image.

Re: Splash Screen

wdh61
OK, here's the real answer.  Gimp and ImageMagik output a bmp in bmp version 4 format.  ImageMagik does that as well but can also output version 3 format.  The resulting version 3 file will display in the installer.  So, bmp splash screen files have to be version 3 format.

Re: Splash Screen

Blair Murri-3
Just curious: MSDN says that LoadBitmap() is deprecated, and to use LoadImage() instead. I wonder if that makes a difference with the BMP version used.

Would you mind opening a bug? I would like to test this scenario out.

-Blair

Re: Splash Screen

wdh61
Done.  It's bug

Bug 4221

William D. Hayden
Eastern Skies District
Camping Chair
Technology Chair

Just curious: MSDN says that LoadBitmap() is deprecated, and to use LoadImage() instead. I wonder if that makes a difference with the BMP version used.

Would you mind opening a bug? I would like to test this scenario out.

-Blair

OK, here's the real answer.  Gimp and ImageMagik output a bmp in bmp version
4 format.  ImageMagik does that as well but can also output version 3
format.  The resulting version 3 file will display in the installer.  So,
bmp splash screen files have to be version 3 format.

http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/Splash-Screen-tp7590775p7591127.html
To unsubscribe from Splash Screen, click here.
NAML