SqlExpress Exepackage InstallCommand ConfigurationFile

SqlExpress Exepackage InstallCommand ConfigurationFile

jero2rome
How to pass .ini configuration file to InstallCommand for a
SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe ExePackage element.

 <ExePackage Id="SQLExpressx64"
                  Name="SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"
                  DisplayName="Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 - Express
Edition x64"
                  SourceFile="$(var.PreRequisites_x64)SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"

InstallCommand="/ConfigurationFile=$(var.PreRequisites_x64)ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2.ini"
                  InstallCondition="Not SqlInstanceFoundx64 AND Not
SqlInstanceFoundx64Express AND Not SqlInstanceFoundx86 AND Not
SqlInstanceFoundx86Express AND VersionNT64"
                  DetectCondition="SqlInstanceFoundx64"
                  Cache="no"
                  Compressed="yes"
                  PerMachine="yes"
                  Permanent="yes"
                  Vital="yes">
        <Payload Id="ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2"
                 Compressed="yes"

SourceFile="$(var.PreRequisites_x64)ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2.ini"
                 Name="ConfigurationFileSQL2008Express" />
      </ExePackage>

I have a lot of install parameter to pass. Which I have put in the
configuration file. If I give absolute path then I get the following error:

Applying execute package: SQLExpressx64, action: Install, path:
C:\ProgramData\Package
Cache\E768A3B70E3F3B596EFFA9F57D812F95C0A0506B\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe,
arguments: '"C:\ProgramData\Package
Cache\E768A3B70E3F3B596EFFA9F57D812F95C0A0506B\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"
/ConfigurationFile=SomePath\ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2.ini'

Re: SqlExpress Exepackage InstallCommand ConfigurationFile

Adkins Christopher
How about setting an MSIProperty?
<Bundle ... >
    <Variable Name="IniPath" Type="string" bal:Overridable="yes" Value="" Persisted="yes"/>
    <MsiPackage ... >
        <MsiProperty Name="INIPATH" Value="[IniPath]"/>
    </MsiPackage>
</Bundle>

Using this method you can also change the path from within your bootstrapper application, if you have one, and the user can also set it when calling the bootstrapper. Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris Adkins

How to pass .ini configuration file to InstallCommand for a SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe ExePackage element.

 <ExePackage Id="SQLExpressx64"
                  Name="SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"
                  DisplayName="Microsoft(r) SQL Server(r) 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition x64"
[...]

It doesn't help. Here it is ExePackage Element and I'm trying to execute
something similar to command line installation.

For example, in cmd.exe we can do: *SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe
/ConfigurationFile=c:\SomePath\SomeConfigFile.ini*

This is very simple passing of commandline installation arguments. How do
we achieve this in Burn bundle installation ?
Note: The '*SomeConfigFile.ini ' *must be embedded in the bundle.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Adkins, Christopher <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about setting an MSIProperty?
> <Bundle ... >
>     <Variable Name="IniPath" Type="string" bal:Overridable="yes" Value=""
> Persisted="yes"/>
>     <MsiPackage ... >
>         <MsiProperty Name="INIPATH" Value="[IniPath]"/>
>     </MsiPackage>
> </Bundle>
>
> Using this method you can also change the path from within your
> bootstrapper application, if you have one, and the user can also set it
> when calling the bootstrapper. Hope this helps!
>
> Best regards,
> Chris Adkins

You should still be able to use the Variable element with the variable being placed with [Variable], but I haven't tested this and don't have time right now for a test to give you a better example.

Regards,
Chris

It doesn't help. Here it is ExePackage Element and I'm trying to execute something similar to command line installation.

For example, in cmd.exe we can do: *SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe
/ConfigurationFile=c:\SomePath\SomeConfigFile.ini*

This is very simple passing of commandline installation arguments. How do we achieve this in Burn bundle installation ?
Note: The '*SomeConfigFile.ini ' *must be embedded in the bundle.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Adkins, Christopher < [hidden email]> wrote:

> How about setting an MSIProperty?
> <Bundle ... >
>     <Variable Name="IniPath" Type="string" bal:Overridable="yes" Value=""
> Persisted="yes"/>
>     <MsiPackage ... >
>         <MsiProperty Name="INIPATH" Value="[IniPath]"/>
>     </MsiPackage>
> </Bundle>
>
> Using this method you can also change the path from within your
> bootstrapper application, if you have one, and the user can also set
> it when calling the bootstrapper. Hope this helps!
>
> Best regards,
> Chris Adkins

Jeremiahf
Isn't configruationfile case sensitive?

I have run it like this from command line.

SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe
/CONFIGURATIONFILE="C:\somepath\anotherpath\ConfigurationFile.INI"

If you use that don't forget to replace " with &quot;

You might also want to make sure your configuration file looks like this.
It's very picky!

;SQLSERVER2008 Configuration File
[SQLSERVER2008]

; Specifies a Setup work flow, like INSTALL, UNINSTALL, or UPGRADE. This is
a required parameter.

ACTION="INSTALL"

; Specify the Instance ID for the SQL Server features you have specified.
SQL Server directory structure, registry structure, and service names will
reflect the instance ID of the SQL Server instance.

INSTANCEID="MSSQLSERVER"

; Specifies features to install, uninstall, or upgrade. The list of
top-level features include SQL, AS, RS, IS, and Tools. The SQL feature will
install the database engine, replication, and full-text. The Tools feature
will install Management Tools, Books online, Business Intelligence
Development Studio, and other shared components.

FEATURES=SQL

; Displays the command line parameters usage

HELP="False"

; Specifies that the detailed Setup log should be piped to the console.

INDICATEPROGRESS="True"

; Setup will not display any user interface.

QUIET="False"

; Setup will display progress only without any user interaction.

QUIETSIMPLE="TRUE"

; Specifies that Setup should install into WOW64. This command line
argument is not supported on an IA64 or a 32-bit system.

X86="False"

; Detailed help for command line argument ROLE has not been defined yet.

ROLE="AllFeatures_WithDefaults"

; Detailed help for command line argument ENU has not been defined yet.

ENU="True"

; Parameter that controls the user interface behavior. Valid values are
Normal for the full UI, and AutoAdvance for a simplied UI.

;UIMODE="AutoAdvance"

; Specify if errors can be reported to Microsoft to improve future SQL
Server releases. Specify 1 or True to enable and 0 or False to disable this
feature.

ERRORREPORTING="False"

; Specify the root installation directory for native shared components.

INSTALLSHAREDDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server"

;Specify this for 32 bit components. Bug in MSSQL silent install.

INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server"

; Specify the installation directory.

INSTANCEDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server"

; Specify that SQL Server feature usage data can be collected and sent to
Microsoft. Specify 1 or True to enable and 0 or False to disable this
feature.

SQMREPORTING="False"

; Specify a default or named instance. MSSQLSERVER is the default instance
for non-Express editions and SQLExpress for Express editions. This
parameter is required when installing the SQL Server Database Engine (SQL),
Analysis Services (AS), or Reporting Services (RS).

INSTANCENAME="MSSQLSERVER"

; Agent account name

AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\System"

; Auto-start service after installation.

AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Disabled"

; Startup type for Integration Services.

ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic"

; Account for Integration Services: Domain\User or system account.

ISSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\System"

; Controls the service startup type setting after the service has been
created.

ASSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic"

; The collation to be used by Analysis Services.

ASCOLLATION="Latin1_General_CI_AS"

; The location for the Analysis Services data files.

ASDATADIR="Data"

; The location for the Analysis Services log files.

ASLOGDIR="Log"

; The location for the Analysis Services backup files.

ASBACKUPDIR="Backup"

; The location for the Analysis Services temporary files.

ASTEMPDIR="Temp"

; The location for the Analysis Services configuration files.

ASCONFIGDIR="Config"

; Specifies whether or not the MSOLAP provider is allowed to run in
process.

ASPROVIDERMSOLAP="1"

; A port number used to connect to the SharePoint Central Administration
web application.

FARMADMINPORT="0"

; Startup type for the SQL Server service.

SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic"

; Level to enable FILESTREAM feature at (0, 1, 2 or 3).

FILESTREAMLEVEL="0"

; Set to "1" to enable RANU for SQL Server Express.

ENABLERANU="True"

; Specifies a Windows collation or an SQL collation to use for the Database
Engine.

SQLCOLLATION="SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS"

; Account for SQL Server service: Domain\User or system account.

SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\System"

; Windows account(s) to provision as SQL Server system administrators.

SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=".\Administrator"

; The default is Windows Authentication. Use "SQL" for Mixed Mode
Authentication.

SECURITYMODE="SQL"

; Provision current user as a Database Engine system administrator for SQL
Server 2008 R2 Express.

ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN="True"

; Specify 0 to disable or 1 to enable the TCP/IP protocol.

TCPENABLED="1"

; Specify 0 to disable or 1 to enable the Named Pipes protocol.

NPENABLED="1"

; Startup type for Browser Service.

BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic"

; Specifies which account the report server NT service should execute
under.  When omitted or when the value is empty string, the default
built-in account for the current operating system.
; The username part of RSSVCACCOUNT is a maximum of 20 characters long and
; The domain part of RSSVCACCOUNT is a maximum of 254 characters long.

RSSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\System"

; Specifies how the startup mode of the report server NT service.  When
; Manual - Service startup is manual mode (default).
; Automatic - Service startup is automatic mode.
; Disabled - Service is disabled

RSSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic"

; Specifies which mode report server is installed in.
; Default value: "FilesOnly"

RSINSTALLMODE="DefaultNativeMode"

; Add description of input argument FTSVCACCOUNT

FTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\System"

IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms="True"

SAPWD="some_password"

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Adkins, Christopher <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should still be able to use the Variable element with the variable
> being placed with [Variable], but I haven't tested this and don't have time
> right now for a test to give you a better example.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

"They may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them
feel." -- Anonymous

Re: SqlExpress Exepackage InstallCommand ConfigurationFile

Neil Sleightholm
I have tried to do this and I don¹t think it is possible. The problem is
that the SQL install extracts to a folder outside the location of it¹s exe
(in the root I think) and needs a fully qualified path to the
configuration file. Unfortunately burn doesn¹t have a method of getting a
fully qualified path to a payload file (I believe there is a feature
request outstanding for this).

Neil

>How to pass .ini configuration file to InstallCommand for a
>SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe ExePackage element.
>
> <ExePackage Id="SQLExpressx64"
>                  Name="SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"
>                  DisplayName="Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 -
>Express
>Edition x64"
>                  SourceFile="$(var.PreRequisites_x64)SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"
>
>InstallCommand="/ConfigurationFile=$(var.PreRequisites_x64)ConfigurationFi
>leSQL2008ExpressR2SP2.ini"
>                  InstallCondition="Not SqlInstanceFoundx64 AND Not
>SqlInstanceFoundx64Express AND Not SqlInstanceFoundx86 AND Not
>SqlInstanceFoundx86Express AND VersionNT64"
>                  DetectCondition="SqlInstanceFoundx64"
>                  Cache="no"
>                  Compressed="yes"
>                  PerMachine="yes"
>                  Permanent="yes"
>                  Vital="yes">
>        <Payload Id="ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2"
>                 Compressed="yes"
>
>SourceFile="$(var.PreRequisites_x64)ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2.i
>ni"
>                 Name="ConfigurationFileSQL2008Express" />
>      </ExePackage>
>

>I have a lot of install parameter to pass. Which I have put in the
>configuration file. If I give absolute path then I get the following
>error:
>
>Applying execute package: SQLExpressx64, action: Install, path:
>C:\ProgramData\Package
>Cache\E768A3B70E3F3B596EFFA9F57D812F95C0A0506B\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe,
>arguments: '"C:\ProgramData\Package
>Cache\E768A3B70E3F3B596EFFA9F57D812F95C0A0506B\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"
>/ConfigurationFile=SomePath\ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2.ini'

Re: SqlExpress Exepackage InstallCommand ConfigurationFile

dhiraj
@jero2rome

you can use [WixBundleExecutePackageCacheFolder] burn variable to get the path where your payload file will be cached.

So now you can use it like this.
<ExePackage Id="SQLExpressx64"
                  Name="SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"
                  DisplayName="Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition x64"
                  SourceFile="$(var.PreRequisites_x64)SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"
                             InstallCommand="/ConfigurationFile=[WixBundleExecutePackageCacheFolder]ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2.ini"
                  InstallCondition="Not SqlInstanceFoundx64 AND Not
SqlInstanceFoundx64Express AND Not SqlInstanceFoundx86 AND Not
SqlInstanceFoundx86Express AND VersionNT64"
                  DetectCondition="SqlInstanceFoundx64"
                  Cache="no"
                  Compressed="yes"
                  PerMachine="yes"
                  Permanent="yes"
                  Vital="yes">
        <Payload Id="ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2"
                 Compressed="yes"

SourceFile="$(var.PreRequisites_x64)ConfigurationFileSQL2008ExpressR2SP2.ini"
                 Name="ConfigurationFileSQL2008Express" />
      </ExePackage>

Note: WixBundleExecutePackageCacheFolder was added in wix toolset v3.8