Quantcast

Start application after installation

Kaushik Barat
Hi All,

I am looking for a way to kick start the application after it has been installed. The application start consists of running an executable.

I tried 2 ways
1. Defered action to start the app, after PublishProduct action. This starts the application, but the MSI hangs.

2. Immediate. Trying to invoke the app via QtExecCmdLine. However, the application does not start if I use this method.

what is the prefered way to start an application after MSI has installed.

THanks,
Kaushik

Re: Start application after installation

Wilson, Phil
Immediate custom actions don't have access to installed files, unless they're after InstallFinalize, and with that deferred one you just need to set the Wix magic that says "don't wait" - that's why the MSI is waiting for it to complete.

Phil Wilson

Re: Start application after installation

2 is what most people do… after InstallFinalize.

Re: Start application after installation

Kaushik Barat
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I tried starting the app after InstallFinalize. The application starts but the msi installation just hangs in there forever

The CustomAction is defined as follows
<CustomAction Id="ChangePropStartEXE"          Property="QtExecCmdLine"           Value='"[TARGETDIR]Notify.exe"' />
 <CustomAction Id='StartImmediate'      BinaryKey='wixca'                  DllEntry='CAQuietExec'  Execute='immediate'  Return='ignore' />

These are the lines i use to start the app.

<Custom Action="ChangePropStartEXE" After="InstallFinalize"><![CDATA[(&Client > 2)]]></Custom>
<Custom Action="StartImmediate" After="ChangePropStartEXE"><![CDATA[(&Client > 2)]]></Custom>

Any idea why the msi hangs around even after the installation is complete and the application has been started?

Thanks,
Kaushik

On 1/22/07, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

2 is what most people do… after InstallFinalize.

Re: Start application after installation

Rob Mensching-2

QtExec waits for the program to return.  You don’t want to use that.  Use’s Bob’s ShellExecute solution instead.