Quantcast

Start service based on user choice.

Lewis99
Can someone tell me the best way to allow the user to choose if a service is to be started on installation. (the StartServices action). I have added a checkbox 'Start Service' to the VerifyReadyDialog and want to use that selection to condition whether the service is started or not.

My ServiceControl element looks like this
<ServiceControl Id='TyrellForwarderService' Name='Tyrell Forwarder' Start='install' Stop='both' Remove='uninstall' Wait='yes'/>

The start property only has enum values of install/uninstall/both so I don't see how I can use a property value here as it won't be recognised as a valid value. As you will know removing the start property stops the service from starting. So somehow I need to be able to condition the removal of the start property.

Also, if I manually edit the MSI and add a condition to the StartServices InstallExecuteSequence row of And INSTALLSERVICE = 1 it works.

So the question is - what is the best way to achieve this. Can I define two ServiceControl elements with different ID's and pick one at runtime somehow? Alternatively how do I set a condition on an InstallExecuteSequence row via WIX? Any advice on the best way to achieve this would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get my head around both WIX and MSI's in general so I may be taking the wrong approach completely.

Thanks

Re: Start service based on user choice.

Blair Murri-3
If you only will ever have one service you could try conditioning the
StartServices action (based on the property you set in the UI) but you will
need to ensure that it does the right thing with upgrades, with no UI (how
do you want to default this?), with repairs, and with uninstalls (there
shouldn't be anything that starts on uninstall, should there?). Action
conditions (not based on platform) have been proven to often not be right in
all circumstances, and are hard to get right, so they are often discouraged.

Further, if you might ever have more than one service you will not be able
to distinguish them because the one action covers all components in the
entire MSI, so it doesn't scale well. You really need per-service control.

You could try separating your two ServiceControl elements in separate
components, each of which is conditioned oppositely.

<Component Id='TyrellForwarderService' Guid='*'>
<File ...>
<ServiceInstall ...>
<ServiceControl Id='TyrellForwarderServiceNoStart' Name='Tyrell Forwarder'
Stop='both' Remove='uninstall' Wait='yes'/>
</Component>

<Component Id='TyrellForwarderServiceStart' Guid='PLACE-GUID-HERE'>
<Condition>INSTALLSERVICE = 1</Condition>
<ServiceControl Id='TyrellForwarderServiceStart' Name='Tyrell Forwarder'
Start='install' Wait='yes'/>
</Component>

If you wish to use the UI during minor upgrades/patches (and/or otherwise
use the property to change your initial setting) you will need to make the
TyrellForwarderServiceStart component Transitive. You should test whether
you need to add some other keypath to that component as well, so it doesn't
get ignored during upgrades/patches (since installer may think that it is
already up-to-date).

This builds, but I haven't tested it yet.

-Blair

Re: Start service based on user choice.

Wendell Joost
Please bear with me - it's been a while since I've dealt with this
issue and the solution may be hopelessly old school.
The tribal elders will likely have a better solution for this, but
this should get you past the block.

Create one Component with Start="install" and one without the Start
property (which means that it won't get started.)

<Component Id="ServiceTyrellStart"

and

<Component Id="ServiceTyrellNoStart"

Condition the components based on your property, e.g.

STARTSERVICE versus NOT(STARTSERVICE)

So that either one or the other component is installed but not both.

Hope this helps!

Wendell

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Lewis99 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone tell me the best way to conditionally determine whether a service
> is started based on user input. I have added a checkbox 'Start Service' to
> the VerifyReadyDialog and want to use that selection to condition whether
> the service is started or not.
>
> My ServiceControl element looks like this
> <ServiceControl Id='TyrellForwarderService' Name='Tyrell Forwarder'
> Start='install' Stop='both' Remove='uninstall' Wait='yes'/>
>
> The start property only has enum values of install/uninstall/both so I don't
> see how I can use a property value here as it won't be recognised as a valid
> value. As you will know removing the start property stops the service from
> starting. So somehow I need to be able to condition the removal of the start
> property.
>
> Also, if I manually edit the MSI and add a condition to the StartServices
> InstallExecuteSequence row of And INSTALLSERVICE = 1 it works.
>
> So the question is - what is the best way to achieve this. Can I define two
> ServiceControl elements with different ID's and pick one at runtime somehow?
> Alternatively how do I set a condition on an InstallExecuteSequence row via
> WIX? Any advice on the best way to achieve this would be greatly
> appreciated. I am trying to get my head around both WIX and MSI's in general
> so I may be taking the wrong approach completely.
>
> Thanks

"Some people come visit Europe and are really let down when they find
out it's not like a credit-card commercial; others really get into
meeting all the quirky people and careening along narrow mountain
roads in rickety cabs driven by suicidal, gap-toothed Carpathians. I
guess it's pretty obvious which one you are..." - Justin Crevier, May
'01

Re: Start service based on user choice.

Wendell Joost
+1 to what Blair said (far more articulately than I.)

Wendell

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Blair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you only will ever have one service you could try conditioning the
> StartServices action (based on the property you set in the UI) but you will
> need to ensure that it does the right thing with upgrades, with no UI (how
> do you want to default this?), with repairs, and with uninstalls (there
> shouldn't be anything that starts on uninstall, should there?). Action
> conditions (not based on platform) have been proven to often not be right in
> all circumstances, and are hard to get right, so they are often discouraged.
>
> Further, if you might ever have more than one service you will not be able
> to distinguish them because the one action covers all components in the
> entire MSI, so it doesn't scale well. You really need per-service control.
>
> You could try separating your two ServiceControl elements in separate
> components, each of which is conditioned oppositely.
>
> <Component Id='TyrellForwarderService' Guid='*'>
> <File ...>
> <ServiceInstall ...>
> <ServiceControl Id='TyrellForwarderServiceNoStart' Name='Tyrell Forwarder'
> Stop='both' Remove='uninstall' Wait='yes'/>
> </Component>
>
> <Component Id='TyrellForwarderServiceStart' Guid='PLACE-GUID-HERE'>
> <Condition>INSTALLSERVICE = 1</Condition>
> <ServiceControl Id='TyrellForwarderServiceStart' Name='Tyrell Forwarder'
> Start='install' Wait='yes'/>
> </Component>
>
> If you wish to use the UI during minor upgrades/patches (and/or otherwise
> use the property to change your initial setting) you will need to make the
> TyrellForwarderServiceStart component Transitive. You should test whether
> you need to add some other keypath to that component as well, so it doesn't
> get ignored during upgrades/patches (since installer may think that it is
> already up-to-date).
>
> This builds, but I haven't tested it yet.
>
> -Blair

Wilson, Phil
This the kind of thing that depends on your customers. Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing. If I installed a new product and it said "do you want to start some service?" my reaction would be "how the hell would I know and why should I care?"  Just start the darn thing! It's potentially up there with things like wanting to give the installing user multiple browse dialogs, one for the application folder, another for some database, another for some other files, etc etc.  I'm on a soapbox here, but when people wonder why installation can be so complicated the short answer is that sometimes we go out of our way to make them that way.

Phil Wilson

+1 to what Blair said (far more articulately than I.)

Wendell

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Blair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you only will ever have one service you could try conditioning the
> StartServices action (based on the property you set in the UI) but you will
> need to ensure that it does the right thing with upgrades, with no UI (how
> do you want to default this?), with repairs, and with uninstalls (there
> shouldn't be anything that starts on uninstall, should there?). Action
> conditions (not based on platform) have been proven to often not be right in
> all circumstances, and are hard to get right, so they are often discouraged.
>
> Further, if you might ever have more than one service you will not be able
> to distinguish them because the one action covers all components in the
> entire MSI, so it doesn't scale well. You really need per-service control.
>
> You could try separating your two ServiceControl elements in separate
> components, each of which is conditioned oppositely.
>
> <Component Id='TyrellForwarderService' Guid='*'>
> <File ...>
> <ServiceInstall ...>
> <ServiceControl Id='TyrellForwarderServiceNoStart' Name='Tyrell Forwarder'
> Stop='both' Remove='uninstall' Wait='yes'/>
> </Component>
>
> <Component Id='TyrellForwarderServiceStart' Guid='PLACE-GUID-HERE'>
> <Condition>INSTALLSERVICE = 1</Condition>
> <ServiceControl Id='TyrellForwarderServiceStart' Name='Tyrell Forwarder'
> Start='install' Wait='yes'/>
> </Component>
>
> If you wish to use the UI during minor upgrades/patches (and/or otherwise
> use the property to change your initial setting) you will need to make the
> TyrellForwarderServiceStart component Transitive. You should test whether
> you need to add some other keypath to that component as well, so it doesn't
> get ignored during upgrades/patches (since installer may think that it is
> already up-to-date).
>
> This builds, but I haven't tested it yet.
>
> -Blair

Thank you for the help Blair/Wendell. Both were very well articulated answers and it worked a treat. I do get a couple of ICE30 errors however:

 'The target file '[InstalledFile]' might be installed in [Program Folder] by two different conditionalized components on an LFN system. If the conditions are not mutually exclusive, this will break the component reference counting system.

I take it this is just a normal side effect of what we are doing?

I can see your point Phil and it has made me reconsider including this option. Originally I wanted to put it in for the following reason. If the service fails to start for some reason (e.g. wrong user credentials), the whole installation is rolled back. I thought it would be better to allow the user to get the service installed, then resolve any issues manually. Thinking about this, if the service fails to start this is definitely a valid reason to fail the whole installation as it is kind of pointless in install a service that isn't going to start.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Wilson, Phil wrote