Uninstall Application using a later version of msi

Uninstall Application using a later version of msi

veena jayan

                We have a bootstrapper bundle which chains 3 individual application msi. Bootstrapper custom UI allows user to choose which application to install

And based on the selection custom bootstrapper will install its msi.

Now consider the scenario.

Application, say A1 version 1.0.0.50 is installed in the system. Assume bootstrapper version is also 1.0.0.50

Assume next version of bootstrapper installer with some updates is available, Assume its version is 1.0.0.51.

Using this one I want to install second application , say A2.

Also I want to uninstall A1.  Currently we support upgrading A1 to 1.0.0.51 version using this latest installer.

But I want to check the possibility of uninstalling A1 using the latest  bootstrapper version. How do I implement it?

Because as per our project requirements, end user should be able to uninstall A1 using any version of bootstrapper.

I have seen in registry it stores the Uninstallstring for each msi. If I run uninstallstring value , for e.g MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

Will it exactly does what is done by msi uninstall ? will it handle cleaning registry entry entries, deleting installed files etc ?

Regards

Veena

Re: Uninstall Application using a later version of msi

Martin Aigner
The command calls the setup in the exact same way as you call the uninstall by dialog.

The uninstall string calls the msiexec.exe (windows installer) with command /x (uninstall) and gives the ProductCode as second argument:
     Msiexec.exe /x <ProductCode>
Windows Installer XML Schulungen powerd by SD-Technologies GmbH Email: info@sd-technologies.de Tel.: +49 (0) 241 / 518 377 10

Re: Uninstall Application using a later version of msi

veena jayan
Hi Martin,
   Thanks for the reply. The real issue I face is as follows.
1. I installed App1 using its msi by invoking Bootstrapper.engine.Plan etc. Assume version of my bootstrapper installer 1.0.0.50. App1's version is also 1.0.0.50

2. Now I have latest installer with version as 1.0.051.
I try to uninstall App1 using the the above latest version of installer. But its bootstrapper engine is not detecting the state of App1 as Present.
In the installer logs I see current state as Absent. and Execute: None. Because of that though I call Engine.Plan() it does not uninstall App1.

I really want to check how can I make engine to detect any version of App installed in the system.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Martin Aigner [via Windows Installer XML (WiX) toolset] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The command calls the setup in the exact same way as you call the uninstall by dialog.

The uninstall string calls the msiexec.exe (windows installer) with command /x (uninstall) and gives the ProductCode as second argument:
     Msiexec.exe /x <ProductCode>
Windows Installer XML Schulungen powerd by SD-Technologies GmbH Email: [hidden email] Tel.: +49 (0) 241 / 518 377 10

To unsubscribe from Uninstall Application using a later version of msi, click here.
NAML