Using WiX 3.7 Votive with VS2013 RC

Christopher Painter-2
I wanted to pass on the results of a test I did today.  I started with a
Win7 VM with IE10 (prereq of VS) and VS2013.  I then performed the
following steps:

Copy Files from a VS2010/VS2012 Dev Machine to the VM:

[ProgramFilesFolder]WiX Toolset v3.7\bin
IncludeFile.ico
LocationFile.ico
ProductFile.ico
ProjectFile.ico
WixLibraryFile.ico
sconce2010.dll
votive2010.dll

[ProgramFilesFolder]Microsoft Visual Studio
11.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\WiX

Edit the extension.vsixmanifest found in the above WiX directory and add a
new section:

<VisualStudio Version="12.0">
 <Edition>Ultimate</Edition>
 <Edition>Premium</Edition>
 <Edition>Pro</Edition>
 <Edition>Express_All</Edition>
</VisualStudio> Open VS2012 Native Tools Comand Prompt and execute:
devenv /setup

Results:
Help About shows Windows Installer XML 3.7 and File | New Project shows all
the expected project types.

I created a setup project and a c# custom action project.  All seemed well.
 I then created a C++ custom action project.  Intellisense gives me
squigglies saying it can't find things like WcaInitialize but when I build
the project it compiles.

I hope this helps.  I'm going to keep refining these procedures as I find
issues.

Regards,
Christopher Painter
ISWIX, LLC

Re: Using WiX 3.7 Votive with VS2013 RC

Christopher Painter-2
I now see the SDK\VS2010 and SDK\VS2012 folders that include inc and lib
subfolders.  I suspect this is where much of the work will need to be done
to make VS specific libs and wired up to the version.
Unless there is something else I'm missing, I'm thinking that a C++ / WiX
Installer developer could make relatively short work of this.  I don't
think there is going to be any scary C# / VSIX work.  (Knock on wood.)

[...]

October Webinars: Code for Performance
Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most
from

Re: Using WiX 3.7 Votive with VS2013 RC

John Cooper-2
I don't think it will be hard either.  Just waiting on approval.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Build & Install Engineer -- ESA

Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60133471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

October Webinars: Code for Performance
Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60133471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution

Re: Using WiX 3.7 Votive with VS2013 RC

Christopher Painter-2
Cool.  Let me know if getting assignment agreements are easier now that
MSFT isn't involved.    If you need any help or if you get a weekly build
done that's working let me know.  I need to update my ISWIX installer for
2013 also.   For me it's just edit the AddIn XML to recognize the new
version and wire up the project templates for the new directory structure.
  I've created my own customized Setup and Merge Module project types that
make creating a buildable installer in 3 easy steps (convention over
configuration).

 http://blog.iswix.com/2013/01/iswix-20130134-released.html

[...]

intended
exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The
message,
information.
distribution

Re: Using WiX 3.7 Votive with VS2013 RC

robmen
Cool. The WiX toolset assignment agreement process described here:
http://wixtoolset.org/about/assignment-agreement/

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Christopher Painter <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Cool.  Let me know if getting assignment agreements are easier now that
> MSFT isn't involved.    If you need any help or if you get a weekly build
> done that's working let me know.  I need to update my ISWIX installer for
> 2013 also.   For me it's just edit the AddIn XML to recognize the new
> version and wire up the project templates for the new directory structure.
>   I've created my own customized Setup and Merge Module project types that
> make creating a buildable installer in 3 easy steps (convention over
> configuration).
>
>  http://blog.iswix.com/2013/01/iswix-20130134-released.html

djarvis8
I followed this procedure and it worked for me.  I use the older WiX v3.6 so I just copied the mentioned files over to my Visual Studio 2013.

Re: Using WiX 3.7 Votive with VS2013 RC

Christopher Painter-2
FWIW, be careful to back these changes out before doing upgrades. I  don't
want to be somehow responsible for servicing issues resulting from the
baseline being in a non-standard state.   There is already a WiX 3.8 weekly
release that supports VS2013 so these procedures should be for the most
part no longer needed.  ( Unless you really want to get 3.6 working on
VS2013 )