Util RegistrySearch Element and Win64 attribute

ptr

Util RegistrySearch Element and Win64 attribute

ptr
Util RegistrySearch has an attribute Winb64 that seems to be no by default.
 If this is set to Yes, Would it mean it would look in the 32bit registry
on 32bit OS and 64bit registry on 64bit OS ?

The reason I am seeking some clarification is become some other attributes
like these seem to be have different default values for x64 vs x86
configurations.

If you have a boostrapper project that has both x64 and x86 configurations,
Does it have any effect on the final exe. I mean on attribute default
values somewhere ?

Thanks
Raj

Re: Util RegistrySearch Element and Win64 attribute

robmen
The Win64 attribute defaults to 'yes' or 'no' based on the value you pass
to the candle.exe -arch switch. If Win64 is 'no' it searches 32-bit. If it
is 'yes' it will search 64-bit on 64-bit machine and 32-bit on a 32-bit
machine (because there is no 64-bit).

Bootstrapper is completely separate and is not affected by the MSI build.

ptr

Re: Util RegistrySearch Element and Win64 attribute

ptr
Thanks Rob.. I just wanted to clarify it because the documentation seems
out of date.

*RegistrySearch documentation says*

Instructs the search to look in the 64-bit registry when the value is
'yes'. When the value is 'no', the search looks in the 32-bit registry. The
default value depends on the value of the Package/@Platform attribute: if
the @Platform attribute value is 'x86', the default @Win64 attribute value
is 'no'; otherwise, the default value is 'yes'.

*Util Extension RegistrySearch documentation says*
Instructs the search to look in the 64-bit registry when the value is
'yes'. When the value is 'no', the search looks in the 32-bit registry. The
default value is 'no'.

So it seems like even though the bootstrapper is always 32bit it matters
what its build configuration. We have installers that only allow 32bit on
32bit OS and 64bit components on 64bit OS. I am making a boostrapper that
has 32bit components as well as 64bit components as downloaded msis that
have installcondition based on bitness of the OS. I was wondering if
setting winb64 to yes is the right thing.  It seems like it is.

Thanks
Raj

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Win64 attribute defaults to 'yes' or 'no' based on the value you pass
> to the candle.exe -arch switch. If Win64 is 'no' it searches 32-bit. If it
> is 'yes' it will search 64-bit on 64-bit machine and 32-bit on a 32-bit
> machine (because there is no 64-bit).
>
> Bootstrapper is completely separate and is not affected by the MSI build.
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:09 AM, ptr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Util RegistrySearch has an attribute Winb64 that seems to be no by
> default.
> >  If this is set to Yes, Would it mean it would look in the 32bit registry
> > on 32bit OS and 64bit registry on 64bit OS ?
> >
> > The reason I am seeking some clarification is become some other
> attributes
> > like these seem to be have different default values for x64 vs x86
> > configurations.
> >
> > If you have a boostrapper project that has both x64 and x86
> configurations,
> > Does it have any effect on the final exe. I mean on attribute default
> > values somewhere ?
> >

> > Thanks
> > Raj

Re: Util RegistrySearch Element and Win64 attribute

robmen
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize you were talking about the
util:RegistrySearch. My answer was about the MSI based RegistrySearch.
Using util:RegistrySearch is explicit. If you say Win64='yes' then the
search is 64-bit and vice versa. You can ignore the fact that the Burn
engine is 32-bit. It matters none.

ptr

Re: Util RegistrySearch Element and Win64 attribute

ptr
But what you said about

if I set Win64='yes'
It will do 64bit search on 64bit OS
and on 32bit OS it will do 32bit search and not fail.

is still true for Util:RegistrySearch like it is for MSI RegistrySearch

I suppose I could test this out myself but I just wanted to know if this is
documented behavior and not likely to break in future.

-Raj

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize you were talking about the
> util:RegistrySearch. My answer was about the MSI based RegistrySearch.
> Using util:RegistrySearch is explicit. If you say Win64='yes' then the
> search is 64-bit and vice versa. You can ignore the fact that the Burn
> engine is 32-bit. It matters none.
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM, ptr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Rob.. I just wanted to clarify it because the documentation seems
> > out of date.
> >
> > *RegistrySearch documentation says*
> >
> > Instructs the search to look in the 64-bit registry when the value is
> > 'yes'. When the value is 'no', the search looks in the 32-bit registry.
> The
> > default value depends on the value of the Package/@Platform attribute: if
> > the @Platform attribute value is 'x86', the default @Win64 attribute
> value
> > is 'no'; otherwise, the default value is 'yes'.
> >
> > *Util Extension RegistrySearch documentation says*
> > Instructs the search to look in the 64-bit registry when the value is
> > 'yes'. When the value is 'no', the search looks in the 32-bit registry.
> The
> > default value is 'no'.
> >
> > So it seems like even though the bootstrapper is always 32bit it matters
> > what its build configuration. We have installers that only allow 32bit on
> > 32bit OS and 64bit components on 64bit OS. I am making a boostrapper that
> > has 32bit components as well as 64bit components as downloaded msis that
> > have installcondition based on bitness of the OS. I was wondering if
> > setting winb64 to yes is the right thing.  It seems like it is.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Raj
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > The Win64 attribute defaults to 'yes' or 'no' based on the value you
> pass
> > > to the candle.exe -arch switch. If Win64 is 'no' it searches 32-bit. If
> > it
> > > is 'yes' it will search 64-bit on 64-bit machine and 32-bit on a 32-bit
> > > machine (because there is no 64-bit).
> > >
> > > Bootstrapper is completely separate and is not affected by the MSI
> build.

> > > default.
> > registry

> > > attributes

> > > configurations,

Re: Util RegistrySearch Element and Win64 attribute

robmen
I think that's reasonable. If you could test it out and file a bug saying,
"This is what I discovered, it would be ideal if the documentation defined
the expected behavior for util:RegistrySearch Win64." I'll get the right
thing to happen on the other side. <smile/>

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM, ptr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But what you said about
>
> if I set Win64='yes'
> It will do 64bit search on 64bit OS
> and on 32bit OS it will do 32bit search and not fail.
>
> is still true for Util:RegistrySearch like it is for MSI RegistrySearch
>
> I suppose I could test this out myself but I just wanted to know if this is
> documented behavior and not likely to break in future.
>
> -Raj
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize you were talking about the
> > util:RegistrySearch. My answer was about the MSI based RegistrySearch.
> > Using util:RegistrySearch is explicit. If you say Win64='yes' then the
> > search is 64-bit and vice versa. You can ignore the fact that the Burn
> > engine is 32-bit. It matters none.
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM, ptr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Rob.. I just wanted to clarify it because the documentation
> seems
> > > out of date.
> > >
> > > *RegistrySearch documentation says*
> > >
> > > Instructs the search to look in the 64-bit registry when the value is
> > > 'yes'. When the value is 'no', the search looks in the 32-bit registry.
> > The
> > > default value depends on the value of the Package/@Platform attribute:
> if
> > > the @Platform attribute value is 'x86', the default @Win64 attribute
> > value
> > > is 'no'; otherwise, the default value is 'yes'.
> > >
> > > *Util Extension RegistrySearch documentation says*
> > > Instructs the search to look in the 64-bit registry when the value is
> > > 'yes'. When the value is 'no', the search looks in the 32-bit registry.
> > The
> > > default value is 'no'.
> > >
> > > So it seems like even though the bootstrapper is always 32bit it
> matters
> > > what its build configuration. We have installers that only allow 32bit
> on
> > > 32bit OS and 64bit components on 64bit OS. I am making a boostrapper
> that
> > > has 32bit components as well as 64bit components as downloaded msis
> that
> > > have installcondition based on bitness of the OS. I was wondering if
> > > setting winb64 to yes is the right thing.  It seems like it is.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Raj

> > pass
> If
> > > it
> 32-bit

> > build.

> > > registry

> default

Re: Util RegistrySearch Element and Win64 attribute

WilcoBT
Wouldn't it make more sense to just not give any result on a Win64='yes' search on 32 bits windows? I now ran into a bug in my software because I got double results in my 32 and 64 bits fields. A bit silly that I need to give all these searches a condition that it is only allowed when versionnt64 is true.
The current situation gives a much higher chance of errors, which seems highly undesirable.