WIX vs Inno setup

manoj Rawat

Currently my company uses install shield to create msi for project deployment and now we are planning to switch new technology for deployment and we come up to choose either WIX or Inno setup for deployment.

I search on internet and found that both wix and Inno setup have similiar features.
Inno setup has good GUI which most users feel very convenient in order to create installer.

Can someone let me know what more wix gives compare to Inno setup as an installer?
Why someone needs to choose wix over Inno setup as an installer?

It will be very helpful if someone can let me know that what the wix can do but not Inno set up.

Please share your experience why you choose wix over inno set up.

Thanks,
Manoj

Re: WIX vs Inno setup

Phill Hogland
I do not have any experience with Inno, but from what I have read it is more similarly compared to InstallShield InstallScript projects and not to any MSI based project.

I am converting many years worth of InstallScript projects to WiX Burn bundle driven MSI packages, and put simply WiX ROCKs! (in comparison to my many years of experience with InstallScript.)  I also appreciate the wealth of information I can glean from the WiX open source using C#, C++, XSD, or MSBuild as I look for solutions to my setup issues.  After using the default WixStdBA, I switched to a managed BA, using the wix source code as an example to implement a C# bootstrapper application which drives a chain of UI-less MSIs.  I find this approach to be very flexible and reliable, and much faster than the equivalent setup implemented in Installscript.