WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Mike Carlson-2

I’d like to propose replacing the Win64 attribute with something more intuitive in WiX v4.0.

Here is the WIP:

                http://wixtoolset.org/development/wips/4707-replace-win64-with-intuitive-attribute/

I appreciate feedback.

Thanks,

Mike Carlson

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Mike Carlson-2

I saw that Sean commented this on the WIP pull request:

                I'm not sure getting rid of Win64 in Bundle elements makes sense.

Sean, are you talking about the ApprovedExeForElevation element?

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

1. I don’t understand this comment in the WIP:

This attribute will not require the "-arch" switch to function properly.

The –arch switch is most definitely required. It’s handled by default in MSBuild. It’s very, very important.

2. I’m also not thrilled with 'Always32Bit'   name. I like “always” better than “force” but “32Bit” feels funny. Bob can you bail us out here?

3. Searches in Burn *may* be different. *Maybe* even in MSI. I don’t remember if 32-bit MSIs can do 64-bit searches. Anyone else remember?  If searches are different then maybe “Win64” attribute is bad name and we can come up with a better name for searching hives (that may default to –arch).

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Rob Mensching-7

What if we had 64-bit Burn that was affected by –arch switch?

Ultimately, I think I agree with you. Thus my point in #3 where I’m wondering if there is a better name than “Win64”. Any thoughts on that?

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

SeanHall
The engine might be 64-bit, but I don't think that should affect how the bundle works.  Things are different for MSI since the package is inherently 32-bit or 64-bit.

Naming is hard.  I think Win64 works for Burn, I'd have to think about whether there's a better name.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 4:53 PM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

What if we had 64-bit Burn that was affected by –arch switch?

Ultimately, I think I agree with you. Thus my point in #3 where I’m wondering if there is a better name than “Win64”. Any thoughts on that?

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Heath Stewart-3
Any reason the engine would need to be 64-bit, though? Only Server Core currently supports 64-bit only, and not much runs on that. 64-bit processes affect default registry and file system paths, and while MSI and isolated EXEs (including wusa.exe, since we just invoke that) will work correctly, other things with Burn may not - like ARP/bundle registration. Fortunately, and against the MSI team's wishes, I stuck the package dependency stuff in a reflected/shared key but registry searches would be adversely affected and setup devs may not realize it.

Heath Stewart
Software Engineer
Visual Studio, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Rob Mensching-7

Yes, Server Core, exactly.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

64-bit searches are legal (or at least aren’t contraindicated) and work from 32-bit packages. So we need to keep a way to specify that.

Naming both is hard…

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Heath Stewart-3
32-bit MSIs can do 64-bit'y things, but it's documented as not supported. What works currently works only because they didn't prevent it (IIRC, registry keys) but one shouldn't take advantage of this.

Heath Stewart
Software Engineer
Visual Studio, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 23:17:08 +0000

64-bit searches are legal (or at least aren’t contraindicated) and work from 32-bit packages. So we need to keep a way to specify that.

Naming both is hard…

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Bob Arnson-4

I know that’s true of the general case but there’s nothing in the RegLocator doc to suggest it applies to searches. I’m going to try a file search – I can see that being affected. (I’m wondering if Burn handles that case either…)

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 23:17:08 +0000

64-bit searches are legal (or at least aren’t contraindicated) and work from 32-bit packages. So we need to keep a way to specify that.

Naming both is hard…

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Heath Stewart-3
What several on the MSI team have told me in the past: if it's not documented, it's not supported. Just sayin'.

Heath Stewart
Software Engineer
Visual Studio, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:57:44 +0000

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 23:17:08 +0000

64-bit searches are legal (or at least aren’t contraindicated) and work from 32-bit packages. So we need to keep a way to specify that.

Naming both is hard…

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Bob Arnson-4

If we held our breath for explicit confirmation from the MSI SDK, we’d all be zombies. However, I finally found a mention in the ICE80 doc, so I begrudgingly agree with you. J

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:57:44 +0000

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 23:17:08 +0000

64-bit searches are legal (or at least aren’t contraindicated) and work from 32-bit packages. So we need to keep a way to specify that.

Naming both is hard…

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Mike Carlson-2

Revising my suggestion, I think it makes sense to allow 64-bit searches as they are allowed today (even if they are officially unsupported by MSI).

Agreeing with Sean, I’d also like to only make this change for the CustomAction and Component elements, because it only belongs in elements that cannot support 64-bit from a 32-bit package. The other two elements (ApprovedExeForElevation and util:RegistrySearch) will continue having the same Win64 attribute they have today. I also favor making the new attribute an enum instead of a bool, for clarity of purpose, and also to be clear to users that the new attribute is not simply a renaming of Win64 (and is not simply the inverse of Win64).

I’m thinking of an attribute named something like “Platform”, with possible values “win32” or “default”. I’m sure there’s a better name out there than “Platform” – I am very open to suggestions.

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:57:44 +0000

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 23:17:08 +0000

64-bit searches are legal (or at least aren’t contraindicated) and work from 32-bit packages. So we need to keep a way to specify that.

Naming both is hard…

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Mike Carlson-2

Does anyone have a better name than “Platform” for this attribute to suggest?

Or other comments on the idea in general?

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:57:44 +0000

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 23:17:08 +0000

64-bit searches are legal (or at least aren’t contraindicated) and work from 32-bit packages. So we need to keep a way to specify that.

Naming both is hard…

Re: WIXFEAT4707 - Replace Win64 Attribute

Blair Murri-3
I like the idea

Sent from my Windows Phone

From: [hidden email]