Weekly releases

12

Weekly releases

Ivanoff, Alex
When will weekly releases be back?

Re: Weekly releases

robmen
They should be back now.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Ivanoff, Alex <[hidden email]>wrote:

> When will weekly releases be back?

Re: Weekly releases

Albert van Peppen
Hmm, the latest release is still dated August 26, 2013 (WiX 3.8.826.0)

Best regards,

Albert van Peppen

** WiX Releases Archive - All WiX releases since WiX 2.0.5213.0 (January 2008) at http://madbutcher.dyndns.org/snippets/wix/

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Ivanoff, Alex <[hidden email]>wrote:

> When will weekly releases be back?

October Webinars: Code for Performance
Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60133471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

[SPAM] Re: Weekly releases

robmen
Yeah. There were no changes until late last week. There will be a new build
soon. Were you waiting for those couple changes?

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Albert van Peppen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm, the latest release is still dated August 26, 2013 (WiX 3.8.826.0)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Albert van Peppen
>
> ** WiX Releases Archive - All WiX releases since WiX 2.0.5213.0 (January
> 2008) at http://madbutcher.dyndns.org/snippets/wix/

Re: [SPAM] Re: Weekly releases

Albert van Peppen
Mainly waiting for VS2013 support.. But I guess that comes later ;)

Also to update my archive ;)

Best regards,

Albert van Peppen
** WiX Releases Archive - All WiX releases since WiX 2.0.5213.0 (January 2008) at http://madbutcher.dyndns.org/snippets/wix/

Yeah. There were no changes until late last week. There will be a new build soon. Were you waiting for those couple changes?

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Albert van Peppen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm, the latest release is still dated August 26, 2013 (WiX 3.8.826.0)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Albert van Peppen
>
> ** WiX Releases Archive - All WiX releases since WiX 2.0.5213.0
> (January
> 2008) at http://madbutcher.dyndns.org/snippets/wix/

Hoover, Jacob
2013 support is on the list, but hasn't been completed.

Yeah. There were no changes until late last week. There will be a new build soon. Were you waiting for those couple changes?

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Albert van Peppen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm, the latest release is still dated August 26, 2013 (WiX 3.8.826.0)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Albert van Peppen
>
> ** WiX Releases Archive - All WiX releases since WiX 2.0.5213.0
> (January
> 2008) at http://madbutcher.dyndns.org/snippets/wix/

[SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: Weekly releases

robmen
It comes later if people help:
http://www.joyofsetup.com/2013/09/13/getting-from-here-to-there-for-wix-v3-8/

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Albert van Peppen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mainly waiting for VS2013 support.. But I guess that comes later ;)
>
> Also to update my archive ;)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Albert van Peppen
> ** WiX Releases Archive - All WiX releases since WiX 2.0.5213.0 (January
> 2008) at http://madbutcher.dyndns.org/snippets/wix/

Re: [SPAM] Re: Weekly releases

Ivanoff, Alex
Do you have an ETA for VS 2013 support?

2013 support is on the list, but hasn't been completed.

Yeah. There were no changes until late last week. There will be a new build soon. Were you waiting for those couple changes?

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Albert van Peppen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm, the latest release is still dated August 26, 2013 (WiX 3.8.826.0)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Albert van Peppen
>
> ** WiX Releases Archive - All WiX releases since WiX 2.0.5213.0
> (January
> 2008) at http://madbutcher.dyndns.org/snippets/wix/

  The request for developers has gone out on the web/wix devs, but no one is really screaming to get at it.  Ultimately, this is an open source project so it is supported by a community of developers in their spare/donated time. If someone really wants the feature or functionality, they are more than welcome to contribute to getting it done.  From our weekly sessions, Rob/Bob have strongly requested that VS2013 is a priority.

It's pretty well laid out here: http://www.joyofsetup.com/

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Ivanoff, Alex <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Do you have an ETA for VS 2013 support?

Re: [SPAM] Re: Weekly releases

robmen
BTW, Alex, this is like the 4th time you've asked for VS2013 support in
Votive. I *highly* recommend you jump in and help write the code to add the
support or do *something* to take some burden off the people who volunteer
time on the WiX toolset before asking again.

I say this because it's around the 2nd time of asking volunteers to do work
for you without offering to help out in anyway that your requests actually
start to *discourage* volunteers from working on the feature for you. If
the feature gets done it's often in spite of repeated requests, not because
of them. <smile/>

PS: I know I went off on a rant about this same topic a week or so ago so I
apologize to those of you that read the list regularly. To those of you
that regularly answer questions here or write code/fix bugs and generally
help make the WiX toolset better, thank you.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's pretty well laid out here: http://www.joyofsetup.com/
> 2013/09/13/getting-from-here-to-there-for-wix-v3-8/
>

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Ivanoff, Alex <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Do you have an ETA for VS 2013 support?

Christopher Painter-2

Rob,

 What's the LOE for this effort?  I have experience creating installers
that register project and item templates as well as tweaking project
templates.  I've done a little bit of AddOn work but not much.  The whole
EnvDTE / VS SDK seemed really complicated to me.   Is it just a few things
that need to be tweaked here and there or is it a lot more?

  I'd love to help, I just don't know if I could handle it.  In this small
community, I'm not sure how many people could.   If we only had Justin back
or DevDiv contributing so it could be built in  I guess that ship has
sailed.

For everyone else, my advice would be to always keep your .NET projects and
WiX projects in different solutions so you can port one to the next release
and keep the other on an old but tried and true platform.  That's how I
roll.

Chris

<[hidden email]>wrote:

>> Do you have an ETA for VS 2013 support?

My First concern is regarding the libraries (.lib files) so I can build my CAs in C++ using VS2013.
I can use the VS2012 libraries but seeing the improvements in C++/VS2013 I would like to test the VS2013 compiled libraries.
Also VS2012 Update 4 (still RC3) has some optimizer issues fixed which I think can fix some problems in some of my CAs, not sure though :).

Since my builds are automated and I don't really use Votive, this is of less concern to me :)

Best regards,

Albert van Peppen
** WiX Releases Archive - All WiX releases since WiX 2.0.5213.0 (January 2008) at http://madbutcher.dyndns.org/snippets/wix/

BTW, Alex, this is like the 4th time you've asked for VS2013 support in Votive. I *highly* recommend you jump in and help write the code to add the support or do *something* to take some burden off the people who volunteer time on the WiX toolset before asking again.

I say this because it's around the 2nd time of asking volunteers to do work for you without offering to help out in anyway that your requests actually start to *discourage* volunteers from working on the feature for you. If the feature gets done it's often in spite of repeated requests, not because of them. <smile/>

PS: I know I went off on a rant about this same topic a week or so ago so I apologize to those of you that read the list regularly. To those of you that regularly answer questions here or write code/fix bugs and generally help make the WiX toolset better, thank you.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's pretty well laid out here: http://www.joyofsetup.com/
> 2013/09/13/getting-from-here-to-there-for-wix-v3-8/
>

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Ivanoff, Alex <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Do you have an ETA for VS 2013 support?

John Cooper-2
I would be very happy to volunteer to do this if the requisite VS 2013 bits could be made available to me.

Don't know if my manager can get them from Microsoft under our contract with them or not--he's new anyway.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Build & Install Engineer -- ESA

<[hidden email]>wrote:

>> Do you have an ETA for VS 2013 support?

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution

Re: [SPAM] Re: Weekly releases

Christopher Painter-2
The 2013 RC bits are available:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/2013-downloads#d-2013-editions

Last I read, RTM is next month and GA is in November.

<[hidden email]>wrote:

>> Do you have an ETA for VS 2013 support?

intended
exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The
message,
information.
distribution

Re: [SPAM] Re: Weekly releases

John Cooper-2
Ok, looks like I can access that.  Just need manager approval now.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Build & Install Engineer -- ESA

Last I read, RTM is next month and GA is in November.

________________________________

BTW, Alex, this is like the 4th time you've asked for VS2013 support in Votive. I *highly* recommend you jump in and help write the code to add the support or do *something* to take some burden off the people who volunteer time on the WiX toolset before asking again.

I say this because it's around the 2nd time of asking volunteers to do work for you without offering to help out in anyway that your requests actually start to *discourage* volunteers from working on the feature for you. If the feature gets done it's often in spite of repeated requests, not because of them. <smile/>

PS: I know I went off on a rant about this same topic a week or so ago so I apologize to those of you that read the list regularly. To those of you that regularly answer questions here or write code/fix bugs and generally help make the WiX toolset better, thank you.

<mailto:[hidden email]%0b>>> > >wrote:

> [...]

October Webinars: Code for Performance
Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60133471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution

Yes. Getting into Votive can be daunting. I'm not much help because
I basically know nothing about Votive, I've never worked on it (except to
fix build breaks due to the crazy InternalsVisibleTo attributes I wish
weren't there).

That's why I suggested people could help in other areas. If there were
volunteers helping to fix every single other bug *except* Votive stuff then
we'd be in a much better place. Bob calls it pretty straight in his blog
post:
http://www.joyofsetup.com/2013/09/13/getting-from-here-to-there-for-wix-v3-8/-
"There are no code pixies".

Anyway, my fundamental point is: We will make progress. However, if you're
not helping to fix issues, regularly pinging about progress isn't going to
taken kindly.
PS: I hope the underlying message isn't lost at the end of this thread.
I'll probably need to distill it down to a blog post. Again, thank you to
all of you who have contributed here by answering questions, sending good
bug reports, and, best of all, sending bug fixes and generally helping
improve the WiX toolset. You guys are great. Thanks.
 On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Christopher Painter <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Rob,
>
>  What's the LOE for this effort?  I have experience creating installers
> that register project and item templates as well as tweaking project
> templates.  I've done a little bit of AddOn work but not much.  The whole
> EnvDTE / VS SDK seemed really complicated to me.   Is it just a few things
> that need to be tweaked here and there or is it a lot more?
>
>   I'd love to help, I just don't know if I could handle it.  In this small
> community, I'm not sure how many people could.   If we only had Justin back
> or DevDiv contributing so it could be built in  I guess that ship has
> sailed.
>
> For everyone else, my advice would be to always keep your .NET projects and
> WiX projects in different solutions so you can port one to the next release
> and keep the other on an old but tried and true platform.  That's how I
> roll.
>
> Chris

John H Bergman (XPedient)
I may have some time later this weekend to take a swing at it; is there any documentation around that describes how to setup an environment to build (and maybe test) with?

Yes. Getting into Votive can be daunting. I'm not much help because I basically know nothing about Votive, I've never worked on it (except to fix build breaks due to the crazy InternalsVisibleTo attributes I wish weren't there).

That's why I suggested people could help in other areas. If there were volunteers helping to fix every single other bug *except* Votive stuff then we'd be in a much better place. Bob calls it pretty straight in his blog
post:
http://www.joyofsetup.com/2013/09/13/getting-from-here-to-there-for-wix-v3-8/-
"There are no code pixies".

Anyway, my fundamental point is: We will make progress. However, if you're not helping to fix issues, regularly pinging about progress isn't going to taken kindly.
PS: I hope the underlying message isn't lost at the end of this thread.
I'll probably need to distill it down to a blog post. Again, thank you to all of you who have contributed here by answering questions, sending good bug reports, and, best of all, sending bug fixes and generally helping improve the WiX toolset. You guys are great. Thanks.
 On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Christopher Painter <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Rob,
>
>  What's the LOE for this effort?  I have experience creating
> installers that register project and item templates as well as
> tweaking project templates.  I've done a little bit of AddOn work but not much.  The whole
> EnvDTE / VS SDK seemed really complicated to me.   Is it just a few things
> that need to be tweaked here and there or is it a lot more?
>
>   I'd love to help, I just don't know if I could handle it.  In this small
> community, I'm not sure how many people could.   If we only had Justin back
> or DevDiv contributing so it could be built in  I guess that ship has
> sailed.
>
> For everyone else, my advice would be to always keep your .NET
> projects and WiX projects in different solutions so you can port one
> to the next release and keep the other on an old but tried and true
> platform.  That's how I roll.
>
> Chris

 Are there known votive issues other then it's not wired up to VS2013 yet?
 The reason I ask is because I just setup a VM with  VS2013 and WiX 3.7 and
was able to perform a few file copies and devenv /setup (may not be needed,
will reproduce to confirm )  and get the WiX VSIX package to load in
VS2012.  I just created a setup project and built an MSI.  Not full testing
but it seems possible barring any other issues.

Perhaps there are other issues and you know this and have left it out of
the installer until it's stable?

Regards,
Chris

Yes. Getting into Votive can be daunting. I'm not much help because
I basically know nothing about Votive, I've never worked on it (except to
fix build breaks due to the crazy InternalsVisibleTo attributes I wish
weren't there).

That's why I suggested people could help in other areas. If there were
volunteers helping to fix every single other bug *except* Votive stuff
then
we'd be in a much better place. Bob calls it pretty straight in his blog
post:
http://www.joyofsetup.com/2013/09/13/getting-from-here-to-there-for-wix-v3-8
/-

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Rob,
>
>  What's the LOE for this effort?  I have experience creating installers
> that register project and item templates as well as tweaking project
> templates.  I've done a little bit of AddOn work but not much.  The
whole
> EnvDTE / VS SDK seemed really complicated to me.   Is it just a few
things
> that need to be tweaked here and there or is it a lot more?
>
>   I'd love to help, I just don't know if I could handle it.  In this
small
> community, I'm not sure how many people could.   If we only had Justin
back
> or DevDiv contributing so it could be built in  I guess that ship has
> sailed.
>
> For everyone else, my advice would be to always keep your .NET projects
and
> WiX projects in different solutions so you can port one to the next
release

> and keep the other on an old but tried and true platform.  That's how I
> roll.
>
> Chris

http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/wixdev/building_wix.html -
for additional discussion about developing the WiX toolset, please use
wix-devs mailing list. This one is for *using* the WiX toolset.

12