Why doesn't this work? Opening PDF at Finish button click

Why doesn't this work? Opening PDF at Finish button click

David Bartmess
I'm trying to get several PDF's to open on the Finish button click on the featuretree.wxs.
I can execute the same custom actions during the InstallExecute sequence, and they work fine.

But when I move them to DoAction events on the Finish button, the command prompt window opens then immediately closes, and no PDF's are opened.
I can see the quotes around the filename, but the filename seems to be missing. Is this too late in the sequence to use the [#...] substitution?

Any ideas? I've tried using ShellExecute CA's, but with the same result.

<UI>

<Publish Dialog="WelcomeDlg" Control="Next" Event="NewDialog" Value="SettingsDialog">1</Publish>

<Publish Dialog="ExitDialog" Control="Finish" Order="1" Event="DoAction" Value="DisplayDashboardPDF"><![CDATA[DISPLAYDASHBOARD = "1" AND NOT REMOVE]]></Publish>

<Publish Dialog="ExitDialog" Control="Finish" Order="2" Event="DoAction" Value="DisplayCalendarPDF"><![CDATA[DISPLAYCALENDAR = "1" AND NOT REMOVE]]></Publish>

<Publish Dialog="ExitDialog" Control="Finish" Order="3" Event="DoAction" Value="DisplayLibraryPDF"><![CDATA[DISPLAYLIBRARY = "1" AND NOT REMOVE]]></Publish>

</UI>

<CustomAction Id="DisplayLibraryPDF"

Directory="COMMONDOCS"

ExeCommand='"[SystemFolder]cmd.exe" /c "[#LibraryUserGuide.pdf]"'

Execute="immediate"

Impersonate="yes"

Return="asyncNoWait"/>

<CustomAction Id="DisplayCalendarPDF"

Directory="CALENDARDOCS"

ExeCommand='"[SystemFolder]cmd.exe" /c "[#CalendarUserGuide.pdf]"'

Execute="immediate"

Impersonate="yes"

Return="asyncNoWait" />

<CustomAction Id="DisplayDashboardPDF"

Directory="DASHBOARDDOCS"

ExeCommand='"[SystemFolder]cmd.exe" /c "[#DashboardUserGuide.pdf]"'

Execute="immediate"

Impersonate="yes"

Return="asyncNoWait" />

David Bartmess

Re: Why doesn't this work? Opening PDF at Finish buttonclick

Pally Sandher
I think you may be too late to directly reference a file using
[#filekey]. The WiXShellExec example at
http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix3/run_program_after_install.htm
uses a [#filekey] value in the WiXShellExecTarget Property so it should
be fine if you do something similar.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368609(VS.85).aspx explains
when formatted strings are resolved & as the ExitDialog is shown after
CostFinalize I think they may be resolving to empty strings as the MSDN
article indicates.

What does a verbose log say about your CA's?

Personally I would try getting one to work using the WiXShellExec
example & then duplicating the code for the other 2 once you're happy
it's working as expected. WiXShellExec is also "cleaner" solution than
using the command prompt in my opinion.

Good luck.

Palbinder Sandher
Software Deployment & IT Administrator
T: +44 (0) 141 945 8500
F: +44 (0) 141 945 8501

http://www.iesve.com
**Design, Simulate + Innovate with the <Virtual Environment>**
Integrated Environmental Solutions Limited. Registered in Scotland No.
SC151456
Registered Office - Helix Building, West Of Scotland Science Park,
Glasgow G20 0SP
Email Disclaimer