Quantcast

WiX 3.6 Burn <ExePackage> Problem -- How to run EXE in place instead of caching?

WiX 3.6 Burn <ExePackage> Problem -- How to run EXE in place instead of caching?

John Robbins
Hello,

I'm chugging along with a Burn installer and its going quite well. Burn is downright cool! That is until I ran into Chrystal Reports. I've gotten Burn to include all the loose Chrystal Reports files with the LayoutDirectory and LayoutFile elements into my installer directory structure. However, when I run through the install Burn insists on copying the ExePackage Name/SourceFile element to the C:\ProgramData\Cache\{GUID} directory even with Cache='no'. Hence, Chrystal Reports SETUP.EXE can't find the rest of its files. Kind of makes it hard to install. :)

Is there anything I can do to tell ExePackage to run in place relative to the main EXE instead of caching? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

    <PackageGroup Id="CrystalReportsXIR2">
      <ExePackage Id="CrystalReportsXIR2"
                  Compressed="no" <--- Tried yes, too.
                  Cache="no"          <--- Tried yes, too.
                  PerMachine="yes"
                  Vital="yes"
                  Name=".\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2\Setup.exe"
                  SourceFile=".\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2\Setup.exe"
                  InstallCommand="/qn CLIENTLANGUAGE=EN PIDKEY=XXXXXX REBOOT=ReallySuppress ADDLOCAL=ALL"
                  DetectCondition="CrystalReportsXIR2Installed"/>
    </PackageGroup>

    <LayoutDirectory Id="PreReqCRXIR2" Name=".\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2">
      <LayoutFile SourceFile=".\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2\autorun.inf"/>
      <LayoutFile SourceFile=".\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2\CRXIR2_Autorun.exe"/>
      <LayoutFile SourceFile=".\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2\Setup.exe"/>
      <LayoutFile SourceFile=".\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2\setup.ini"/>
      <LayoutDirectory Name="win32">
        <LayoutFile SourceFile=".\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2\win32\CrystalReports.cab"/>

John
Wintellect
http://www.wintellect.com
+1-877-968-5528

Re: WiX 3.6 Burn <ExePackage> Problem -- How to run EXE in place instead of caching?

Wyrdfish
Hi,
Have you tried putting <Payload> elements under your <ExePackage> for the
extra files?

Dave

[...]

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.  Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

Re: WiX 3.6 Burn <ExePackage> Problem -- How to run EXE in place instead of caching?

John Robbins
I've played around trying to get the <Payload> element to work but nothing I've tried tells Burn just run the one in the directory .\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2\ under MyBurnSetup.exe.

Thanks in advance!

John
Wintellect
http://www.wintellect.com
+1-877-968-5528

[...]

-
Benefiting from Server Virtualization: Beyond Initial Workload Consolidation -- Increasing the use of server virtualization is a top priority.Virtualization can reduce costs, simplify management, and improve application availability and disaster protection. Learn more about boosting the value of server virtualization. http://p.sf.net/sfu/vmware-sfdev2dev
SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.  Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

Benefiting from Server Virtualization: Beyond Initial Workload Consolidation -- Increasing the use of server virtualization is a top priority.Virtualization can reduce costs, simplify management, and improve application availability and disaster protection. Learn more about boosting the value of server virtualization. http://p.sf.net/sfu/vmware-sfdev2dev

Re: WiX 3.6 Burn <ExePackage> Problem -- How to run EXE in place instead of caching?

Bob Arnson-6
On 14-Apr-11 12:31, John Robbins wrote:
> I've played around trying to get the<Payload>  element to work but nothing I've tried tells Burn just run the one in the directory .\PreReq\CrystalReportsXIR2\ under MyBurnSetup.exe.

Burn always runs packages from the cache; if @Cache="no" then Burn
deletes it from the cache after installation. Payloads of an uncached
package should get deleted too.

http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: WiX 3.6 Burn <ExePackage> Problem -- How to run EXE in place instead of caching?

John Robbins
As always, Bob thanks! The fog is parting a little. :) I'd noticed the "copy-to-cache-install-delete-from-cache" pattern with MSI files but didn't realize that it applied to ExePackage stuff as well.

With the hints from you and David Watson, I got it working. No matter what I tried, if the files were external, I'd get hash errors as Burn was processing them copying them from the external location, to the %TEMP% directory, to the cache directory. Once I compressed all 250+ files into my EXE everything worked.

Hope you don't mind another question. :) Why does Burn expand into the %TEMP% directory and copy to the cache directory? Why not just extract the files from the EXE directly into the cache directory? The installer I'm working on with everything is 2.69GB so there's a lot spent file copying between the two directories. Also, Burn is leaving all the files extracted in the %TEMP% directory in BRN*.TMP directories. I swear I saw a bug in the database about that a while ago, but can't find it. I'll get that filed if I can't find it.

Thanks!

John
Wintellect
http://www.wintellect.com
+1-877-968-5528

On 14-Apr-11 22:07, John Robbins wrote:
> Hope you don't mind another question. :) Why does Burn expand into the %TEMP% directory and copy to the cache directory? Why not just extract the files from the EXE directly into the cache directory? The installer I'm working on with everything is 2.69GB so there's a lot spent file copying between the two directories. Also, Burn is leaving all the files extracted in the %TEMP% directory in BRN*.TMP directories. I swear I saw a bug in the database about that a while ago, but can't find it. I'll get that filed if I can't find it.

The idea(l) is that the files are extracted then moved, so that only
complete and verified files are in the cache. When TMP and appdata are
on the same volume, it should be a move, afaik. Definitely a bug if the
files are left behind in TMP, though.

http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: WiX 3.6 Burn <ExePackage> Problem -- How to run EXE in place instead of caching?

Rune Moberg
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Bob Arnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The idea(l) is that the files are extracted then moved, so that only
> complete and verified files are in the cache. When TMP and appdata are
> on the same volume, it should be a move, afaik. Definitely a bug if the
> files are left behind in TMP, though.

A bit annoying if your %temp% is on another drive. Lots of extra IO
just for the sake of IO... (extremely amusing when an archiving
utility such as WinRar does that -- it effectively doubles the time it
takes to unpack an archive, unless %temp% is on the same drive of
course)

Why not write to a temporary name in the target directory and rename that?

--
Rune

Re: WiX 3.6 Burn <ExePackage> Problem -- How to run EXE in place instead of caching?

robmen
Yes, known optimization opportunity.

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Rune Moberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Bob Arnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The idea(l) is that the files are extracted then moved, so that only
> > complete and verified files are in the cache. When TMP and appdata are
> > on the same volume, it should be a move, afaik. Definitely a bug if the
> > files are left behind in TMP, though.
>
> A bit annoying if your %temp% is on another drive. Lots of extra IO
> just for the sake of IO... (extremely amusing when an archiving
> utility such as WinRar does that -- it effectively doubles the time it
> takes to unpack an archive, unless %temp% is on the same drive of
> course)
>
> Why not write to a temporary name in the target directory and rename that?
>
> --
> Rune

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: WiX 3.6 Burn <ExePackage> Problem -- How to run EXE in place instead of caching?

Varun7447
Can we use burn to copy files in the bundle source directory? This is achievable using MSI copy element, but trying to do the same using burn/bundle. Our requirement is that the extra files cannot be compiled with the file names. Can I use wildcard in payload? I doubt it. How do I change the cache directory to source directory so that all files in sourcedirectory get's executed.