Windows Nano server

Hoover, Jacob

From http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2015/04/08/microsoft-announces-nano-server-for-modern-apps-and-cloud.aspx

To achieve these benefits, we removed the GUI stack, 32 bit support (WOW64), MSI and a number of default Server Core components.”

Guess we won’t have to worry about nano compatibility…

Thanks,

Jacob

Re: Windows Nano server

John Cooper-2

The word at Microsoft is packages.  APPX, APK, and WebDeploy.  All fine and dandy, and they work well enough in a limited set of circumstances.

Of course, when I ask the MVP instructors to discuss the disadvantages of packages, they seemingly can’t come up with any.

Experience teaches otherwise.

--

John Merryweather Cooper

Senior Software Engineer | Integration Development Group | Continuing Development

Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.® | Lenexa, KS  66214 | Ext:  431050 |[hidden email]

Re: Windows Nano server

Rob Mensching-7

And WiX will build those things as appropriate. <smile/>

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Windows Nano server

Note: in the end it’s all packages. The question is what format and what engine drives it. It’s still doing all the same things ultimately.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

And WiX will build those things as appropriate. <smile/>

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

And WiX will build those things as appropriate. <smile/>

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Windows Nano server

Rob Mensching-7

Good, that’s already been written (although may need updating for Win10). Much more work to do in the space, of course.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

And WiX will build those things as appropriate. <smile/>

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Windows Nano server

scubasteve2

So on the subject of “future coolness”;

Are there plans for translating WiX declarative XML into OneGet/Chocolatey/NuGet packages as well?

Good, that’s already been written (although may need updating for Win10). Much more work to do in the space, of course.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

And WiX will build those things as appropriate. <smile/>

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Windows Nano server

SeanHall
Nuget packages are in v4.0 already.  https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix4/pull/5