Quantcast

WixExitEarlyWithSuccess not working for me

WixExitEarlyWithSuccess not working for me

Luis Tiago C Eterovick
Hello,

I have 3 problems that i need some help.
1- Considering my App is installed and i generate a new installer with a
newer version, if i open it i get this screen:
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8471/screenshot20120523at457.png

2- After removing the installed App in Control Panel, i run the new
installer. It installs everything smoothly but when asking for permission,
it doesn't show the manufacturer name. Do i have to set it more than once?
Because it's set on Product and Package fields:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4702/screenshot20120523at458.png

3- After the new version is installed, i run the installer again, and it
was supposed to find the same version installed and exit with success, but
it doesn't seem to do anything different from the regular proceeding:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4702/screenshot20120523at458.png

I'm currently using:

<CustomActionRef Id="WixExitEarlyWithSuccess" />
  <Upgrade Id="$(var.ProductUpgradeCode)">
    <UpgradeVersion Minimum="$(var.ProductVersion)" OnlyDetect="yes"
Property="NEWERVERSIONDETECTED" />
  </Upgrade>
<Condition Message="Metasys Update is already installed. This installation
is being skipped.">NOT NEWERVERSIONDETECTED</Condition>

and this is the full code:

http://pastie.org/3957432

Can anyone help me on these points?
Any other hint is appreciated. It's my first time using WiX.
Thanks in advance

Re: WixExitEarlyWithSuccess not working for me

Chris Lord-2
Hi Luis

(1) Are you attempting a major upgrade or a minor one?

If its a major upgrade then your upgrade MSI should have an identical
upgrade ID but a different product ID and a different version from the
original MSI.  I cant tell if the product code has changed or not as
you have only posted one set of code.  However, if you dont change the
product ID and the system tries a major upgrade, you will get this.

Also, check your version number.  In your WXS it's listed as 1.0.0.58.
When FindRelatedProducts is called to look for versions to upgrade, it
only checks the first 3 parts of the version number and the fourth
number is ALWAYS ignored.  If you have only bumped the version from say
from 1.0.0.57 in the original MSI to 1.0.0.58 in the upgrade MSI,
FindRelatedProducts still sees these as being the same.

(2) I dont know the answer to this one but as a guess, I think you may
need to digitally sign your MSI for the publisher to be shown.

(3) I am not sure what your intention was by including the condition but
Windows Installer will detect if your application is already installed
and prevent a re-install by itself.  The third screen shot shows this
happening with the only option to repair or remove.  Was there a reason
for trying to stop the user installing the update again?

Chris Lord
Attero Tech, LLC
1315 Directors Row, Suite 107
Fort Wayne, IN 46808
Ph: 260-496-9668 ext. 377, Fax 260-496-9879

email: [hidden email]

Confidentiality Notice:  This message is intended solely for the use of
the addressees shown above.  It may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are
hereby notified that the copying, use or distribution of any information
or materials transmitted in or with this message is strictly prohibited.
 If you received this message by mistake, please immediately contact me
at (260) 496-9668 x 377 or [hidden email] and destroy the
original message.  Thank you.

[...]

------
Live Security Virtual Conference
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
malware

Re: WixExitEarlyWithSuccess not working for me

Heath Stewart-2
Having the same UpgradeCode ("upgrade ID") isn't actually a requirement -
just that your new version has the older version's UpgradeCode in the
Upgrade table (Upgrade element). That's key - having the same UpgradeCode
doesn't mean you have an upgrade. In fact, if you don't schedule
RemoveExistingProducts you don't really have an upgrade either - just
related packages.

But you're on the right track: the ProductVersion and ProductCode have to
change for your UpgradeVersion/@ActionProperty to be set, which in turn
triggers the custom action.

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Chris Lord <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Luis
>
> (1) Are you attempting a major upgrade or a minor one?
>
> If its a major upgrade then your upgrade MSI should have an identical
> upgrade ID but a different product ID and a different version from the
> original MSI.  I cant tell if the product code has changed or not as
> you have only posted one set of code.  However, if you dont change the
> product ID and the system tries a major upgrade, you will get this.
>
> Also, check your version number.  In your WXS it's listed as 1.0.0.58.
> When FindRelatedProducts is called to look for versions to upgrade, it
> only checks the first 3 parts of the version number and the fourth
> number is ALWAYS ignored.  If you have only bumped the version from say
> from 1.0.0.57 in the original MSI to 1.0.0.58 in the upgrade MSI,
> FindRelatedProducts still sees these as being the same.
>
> (2) I dont know the answer to this one but as a guess, I think you may
> need to digitally sign your MSI for the publisher to be shown.
>
> (3) I am not sure what your intention was by including the condition but
> Windows Installer will detect if your application is already installed
> and prevent a re-install by itself.  The third screen shot shows this
> happening with the only option to repair or remove.  Was there a reason
> for trying to stop the user installing the update again?
>
> Chris Lord
> Attero Tech, LLC
> 1315 Directors Row, Suite 107
> Fort Wayne, IN 46808
> Ph: 260-496-9668 ext. 377, Fax 260-496-9879
>
> email: [hidden email]
>
> Confidentiality Notice:  This message is intended solely for the use of
> the addressees shown above.  It may contain information that is
> privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable
> law.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are
> hereby notified that the copying, use or distribution of any information
> or materials transmitted in or with this message is strictly prohibited.
>  If you received this message by mistake, please immediately contact me
> at (260) 496-9668 x 377 or [hidden email] and destroy the
> original message.  Thank you.

*Heath Stewart
*Visual Studio Professional Deployment Experience team, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths

Re: WixExitEarlyWithSuccess not working for me

Luis Tiago C Eterovick
Thanks! I'll give it a try. About the condition, this update app is coming
together with other different apps, so this installer is probably going to
run more than once, if the user has 2 or more of these apps. I want to
avoid even the repair/unninstall screen because the user doesn't know about
this and it would be better if this process was invisible to him since I
can't assure if he's able to guess whats happening, that's why i need to
exit with success as soon as possible when the same version is already
installed.

2012/5/23 Heath Stewart <[hidden email]>

> Having the same UpgradeCode ("upgrade ID") isn't actually a requirement -
> just that your new version has the older version's UpgradeCode in the
> Upgrade table (Upgrade element). That's key - having the same UpgradeCode
> doesn't mean you have an upgrade. In fact, if you don't schedule
> RemoveExistingProducts you don't really have an upgrade either - just
> related packages.
>
> But you're on the right track: the ProductVersion and ProductCode have to
> change for your UpgradeVersion/@ActionProperty to be set, which in turn
> triggers the custom action.
>
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Chris Lord <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Luis
> >
> > (1) Are you attempting a major upgrade or a minor one?
> >
> > If its a major upgrade then your upgrade MSI should have an identical
> > upgrade ID but a different product ID and a different version from the
> > original MSI.  I cant tell if the product code has changed or not as
> > you have only posted one set of code.  However, if you dont change the
> > product ID and the system tries a major upgrade, you will get this.
> >
> > Also, check your version number.  In your WXS it's listed as 1.0.0.58.
> > When FindRelatedProducts is called to look for versions to upgrade, it
> > only checks the first 3 parts of the version number and the fourth
> > number is ALWAYS ignored.  If you have only bumped the version from say
> > from 1.0.0.57 in the original MSI to 1.0.0.58 in the upgrade MSI,
> > FindRelatedProducts still sees these as being the same.
> >
> > (2) I dont know the answer to this one but as a guess, I think you may
> > need to digitally sign your MSI for the publisher to be shown.
> >
> > (3) I am not sure what your intention was by including the condition but
> > Windows Installer will detect if your application is already installed
> > and prevent a re-install by itself.  The third screen shot shows this
> > happening with the only option to repair or remove.  Was there a reason
> > for trying to stop the user installing the update again?
> >
> > Chris Lord
> > Attero Tech, LLC
> > 1315 Directors Row, Suite 107
> > Fort Wayne, IN 46808
> > Ph: 260-496-9668 ext. 377, Fax 260-496-9879
> >
> > email: [hidden email]
> >
> > Confidentiality Notice:  This message is intended solely for the use of
> > the addressees shown above.  It may contain information that is
> > privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable
> > law.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are
> > hereby notified that the copying, use or distribution of any information
> > or materials transmitted in or with this message is strictly prohibited.
> >  If you received this message by mistake, please immediately contact me
> > at (260) 496-9668 x 377 or [hidden email] and destroy the
> > original message.  Thank you.

Well, i couldn't make it work the way i wanted. Can anyone help me with
this? I want the application to simply end with success as soon as possible
with a custom message, if it finds the same or newer version. In my
context, this is the best practice, even though it sounds strange.

2012/5/24 Luis Tiago C Eterovick <[hidden email]>

> [...]
>> > for trying to stop the user installing the update again?
>> >
>> > Chris Lord
>> > Attero Tech, LLC
>> > 1315 Directors Row, Suite 107
>> > Fort Wayne, IN 46808
>> > Ph: 260-496-9668 ext. 377, Fax 260-496-9879
>> >
>> > email: [hidden email]
>> >
>> > Confidentiality Notice:  This message is intended solely for the use of
>> > the addressees shown above.  It may contain information that is
>> > privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable
>> > law.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are
>> > hereby notified that the copying, use or distribution of any information
>> > or materials transmitted in or with this message is strictly prohibited.
>> >  If you received this message by mistake, please immediately contact me
>> > at (260) 496-9668 x 377 or [hidden email] and destroy the

Well I'm having some new problems. This is my current code:

http://pastie.org/4002610 <http://pastie.org/4001980>

1- To do a minor upgrade I'm just changing just the version last digit:

*<?define ProductVersion = "1.0.6.1"?>*
*

*<?define ProductVersion = "1.0.6.2"?>*

but doing just that, when i run the new installer i get that error:
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8471/screenshot20120523at457.png
so i suppose I'm missing something or this update is pointless.

2- To do a major upgrade, I changed both version second digit and product
guid

*<?define ProductVersion = "1.0.5.0"?>
<Product Name='My Update' Id='e986a90a-d4a6-4cf2-9545-efdbfa55a39f'
UpgradeCode="$(var.ProductUpgradeCode)"
   Language='1033' Codepage='1252' Version="$(var.ProductVersion)"
Manufacturer='International Syst'>?>*

*<?define ProductVersion = "1.0.6.0"?>
<Product Name='My Update' Id='aa5594c7-bd55-4ab3-a213-84bc39b1d827'
UpgradeCode="$(var.ProductUpgradeCode)"
   Language='1033' Codepage='1252' Version="$(var.ProductVersion)"
Manufacturer='International Syst'>?>*

but on the new installation, it doesn't offer to close the running
application anymore. When i accept to launch on the end of the
installation, i have 2 instances of the app running at once.
(I'm using *<DialogRef Id="FilesInUse" />* for that)

3- How can i ask to launch the application after a "Repair"? It asks to
close it but doesn't launch it automatically.

4- I changed the code that was using *WixExitEarlyWithSuccess* with
*<MajorUpgrade
DowngradeErrorMessage="Can’t downgrade." /> *as they seem to have the same
effect.
Can i use that to prevent reinstalling the same version? Any other way to
do that?

Thanks in advance