can't eliminate Error 2343 for InstallDirDlg.wxs in Toolset 3.5

can't eliminate Error 2343 for InstallDirDlg.wxs in Toolset 3.5

pstein
I apologize if this email appears to be a duplicate. Although I'm registered my previous email was deleted.

It seems I can't get rid of this 2343 Error no matter how I set the WIXUI_INSTALLDIR property. As an experiment I created an installer that only contains a Product.wxs which only loads the InstallDirDlg. It too fails with Error 2343. The offending line in all cases is:

<Control Id="Folder" Type="PathEdit" X="20" Y="100" Width="320" Height="18" Property="WIXUI_INSTALLDIR" Indirect="yes" />

Even when the msi.log shows that the WIXUI_INSTALLDIR  property is set correctly it still fails. Could this be OS related? In my case I'm trying to install onto XP. The Windows event log is only showing the 2343 error.

FYI, I'm using the WiX Developer's Guide by Nick Ramirez as a reference. If I'm tripping across a well known bug I'd be grateful if someone clued me in. Thanks.

Re: can't eliminate Error 2343 for InstallDirDlg.wxs in Toolset 3.5

robmen
Nope, first email.

Can you share the log? Only thing I saw that might be minutely related is:
http://www.appdeploy.com/msierrors/detail.asp?id=134

It's possible something really strange is going on in your Directory tree
(like maybe it isn't rooted in TARGETDIR/SourceDir?).

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: can't eliminate Error 2343 for InstallDirDlg.wxs in Toolset 3.5

pstein
See below.

On 12-Jul-11 10:54, Peter Stein wrote:
> It seems I can't get rid of this 2343 Error no matter how I set the WIXUI_INSTALLDIR property.

How did you set it? As documented, its value must be the name of the
directory property you want to specify.

http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: can't eliminate Error 2343 for InstallDirDlg.wxs in Toolset 3.5

robmen
Sorry, I should have been more exact. Can you share a *verbose* log file.
Non-verbose log files are generally useless (sadly).

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Peter Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See below.

Sigh. That was it. I did actually try it the correct way before, but it didn't work due to an unrelated error.

Now that I tried the property name in my simple (i.e. only containing the InstallDir dialog) example it works. I will clean up my more complicated project to correct this.
Thank you Bob & Rob.