error: system cannot open the device or file specified

error: system cannot open the device or file specified

johns@msli.com
I am trying to setup a new wix project, but I am running into a few
problems and would love some help.

Below I include links to my wxs, wxi, ant build, and install logs so
that you may save me from this fiery hell.

Link to resources:https://gist.github.com/johnstile/5595744
It includes:
 build.xml     : ant script calling heat, candle, light, and msiexec.
 MyProgram.wxs : wix project file
 MyProgram.variables.wxi - variables file
 msi_install_log.txt - my failing install log
 build_log.txt - output from running: ant light

First issue:

All my installers fail with error:

 "The system cannot open the device or file specified."

 See: msi_install_log.txt
 it isn't empty, and the paths look sane.
 What's the problem?

Second issue:

 heat warns about 5 files files, with errors like:

heat.exe : warning HEAT5150 : Could not harvest data from a file that
was expected to be a SelfReg DLL: C:\cygwin\home\build\current\EUROPA
\ProgramFiles\WinPcap_4_1_2.exe. If this file does not support SelfReg
you can ignore this warning. Otherwise, this error detail may be helpful
to diagnose the failure: Unable to load file: C:\cygwin\home\build
\current\EUROPA\ProgramFiles\WinPcap_4_1_2.exe, error: 5

 See: build_log.txt

 I need to distribute this exe as part of my installer, and there are
other exe's as well.  My installer will have to offer to install the
other programs if they are not installed already.

Third issue:

  I can't get preprocessor includes to read my wxi files.
  Either it errors with a path problem:

C:\cygwin\home\build\current\EUROPA\Source\Compass.wxs(2) : error
CNDL0103 : The system cannot find the file 'Source/Compass.variables.wxi
' with type 'include'.Source trace:
C:\cygwin\home\build\current\EUROPA\Source\Compass.wxs: line 2

  Or it says my file is invalid.
  See: MyProgram.variables.wxi

Fourth issue:

  I can't get find a wild card for light to use all wixobj files under
the wixobj directory generated by candle.

Thank you for taking a look.

NOTICE: This email may contain confidential information.  Please see http://www.meyersound.com/confidential/ for our complete policy.

Re: error: system cannot open the device or file specified

Wyrdfish
1) This http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834549 ?
2) Heat thinks the .exe is a com server, as it is another installer you can
ignore it. If you are bundling several packages together you may want to look
at the burn bootstrapper which will handle this much better than embedding
the sub installers in an msi.
3&4) Try manually running the compilation from the command line and
hardcoding some values until you work out which bit is wrong, or add
everything to a wixproj / solution if you have that option.

[...]

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.  Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

Re: error: system cannot open the device or file specified

johns@msli.com
Nothing is encrypted, so the link didn't help, though I did see that
'solution' before.

Per your request, I removed all the variables, simplified the problem to
one wxs file, packaging 2 text files, no variables, and I still get the
error system cannot open the device or file specified.

The command line:
 candle -v -trace MyProgram.wxs
 light -o MyProgram.msi MyProgram.wixobj
 msiexec.exe /i MyProgram.msi /l*v msi_install_log.txt

My MyProgram.wxs:
-----------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi">
  <Product
    Id="*"
    Language="1033"
    Manufacturer="My Company, Inc."
    Name="MyProgram 1.0.0"
    UpgradeCode="{759DF56C-50E2-49B7-AFFF-296826685B58}"
    Version="1.0.0"

    <!-- Main packed declaration -->
    <Package
      Comments="My Products - MyProgram 1.0.0 Installation"
      Compressed="yes"
      Description="MyProgram 1.0.0 digital product view and control program"
      InstallerVersion="301"
      InstallScope="perMachine"
    />

    <!-- How data is packed inside the msi -->
    <Media Id="1" Cabinet="contents.capab" EmbedCab="yes" />

    <!-- Directory Structure -->
    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir" >
      <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder" Name="PFF" >
        <Directory Id="MYPRODUCTSDIR" Name="My Products" ShortName="livl8li5">
          <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="MyProgram 1.0.0" ShortName="rclggtos">
          </Directory>
        </Directory>
      </Directory>
    </Directory>

    <!-- Add Components to feactures (selectable groups of files) -->
    <Feature Id='Complete' Level='1'>
      <ComponentGroupRef Id='group_ProductFiles'/>
      <!-- Pulls in fragment file to creat Shortcut & Program File Icons
        <ComponentRef Id="ProgramFileShortcuts" />
        <ComponentRef Id="DesktopShortcuts" />
      -->
    </Feature>
    <Feature Id="OptionalTools"
      Title="Optional Tools"
      Level="1">
      <ComponentGroupRef Id="group_OptionalTools"/>
    </Feature>

    <!-- Add Components to ComponentGroup -->
    <!-- Add Files to Components -->
    <ComponentGroup
      Id="group_ProductFiles"
      Directory="INSTALLDIR">
      <Component Id="CMP_InstallTXT" Guid="{4c70688d-01df-4930-b17e-92dbd4f8704d}">
        <File Id="FILE_InstallTXT"
          Source="Install.txt"
          KeyPath="yes" />
      </Component>
    </ComponentGroup>

    <ComponentGroup
      Id="group_OptionalTools"
      Directory="INSTALLDIR">
      <Component Id="CMP_REAMETXT" Guid="{6f979965-8fa8-452a-bd61-774feedebc8e}">
        <File Id="FILE_READMETXT"
          Source="README.txt"
          KeyPath="yes" />
      </Component>
    </ComponentGroup>

    <!-- Major Update -->
    <MajorUpgrade
      AllowDowngrades="yes"
      Schedule="afterInstallValidate" />
  </Product>
</Wix>

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 11:05 +0100, David Watson wrote:

> 1) This http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834549 ?
> 2) Heat thinks the .exe is a com server, as it is another installer you can
> ignore it. If you are bundling several packages together you may want to look
> at the burn bootstrapper which will handle this much better than embedding
> the sub installers in an msi.
> 3&4) Try manually running the compilation from the command line and
> hardcoding some values until you work out which bit is wrong, or add
> everything to a wixproj / solution if you have that option.

Phil Wilson-2
Take a look at that folder and the file at
C:\cygwin\home\build\current\EUROPA\MyProgram.msi .

That looks like a user-created folder, and it seems that the install fails
as soon as it switches to the service to do the install. That file/folder
may not allow access by the SYSTEM account.

Phil

Nothing is encrypted, so the link didn't help, though I did see that
'solution' before.

Per your request, I removed all the variables, simplified the problem to one
wxs file, packaging 2 text files, no variables, and I still get the error
> [...]

      </Component>
    </ComponentGroup>

    <!-- Major Update -->
    <MajorUpgrade
      AllowDowngrades="yes"
      Schedule="afterInstallValidate" />
  </Product>
</Wix>

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 11:05 +0100, David Watson wrote:

> 1) This http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834549 ?
> 2) Heat thinks the .exe is a com server, as it is another installer
> you can ignore it. If you are bundling several packages together you
> may want to look at the burn bootstrapper which will handle this much
> better than embedding the sub installers in an msi.
> 3&4) Try manually running the compilation from the command line and
> hardcoding some values until you work out which bit is wrong, or add
> everything to a wixproj / solution if you have that option.

Download a free trial.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/alienvault_d2d
> SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
> If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and
requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its
contents, and we further request that you advise us.
> SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
> Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6
7DY, UK.

NOTICE: This email may contain confidential information.  Please see
http://www.meyersound.com/confidential/ for our complete policy.

Re: error: system cannot open the device or file specified

johns@msli.com
Phil,
  You are a genius!  I dragged the MyProgram.msi to the desktop, double
clicked the msi, and it installed! Happy Day.
  Permissions address issue 1.

  So why are the permissions wrong, and how to I solve this?

  From cygwin or cmd, built via ant or calling wix commands directly,
trying to run the msi (by double-click in Explorer, or msiexec.exe from
cmd) results in this error.  If I copy the file to the desktop it does
not have this problem.

Permissions of original product of wix light.exe:
cacls MyProgram.msli
  MyProgram.msi build-PC\build:(ID)F
                build-PC\None:(ID)(special access:)
                              READ_CONTROL
                              SYNCHRONIZE
                              FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                              Everyone:(ID)F

Permissions of copy to the desktop:
  MyProgram.msi NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                build-PC\build:F

>From cygwin if I set permissions, I can install the file:
  chmod 777 MyProgram.msli
Permissions after chmod:
MyProgram.msi build-PC\build:(special access:)
                             STANDARD_RIGHTS_ALL
                             DELETE
                             READ_CONTROL
                             WRITE_DAC
                             WRITE_OWNER
                             SYNCHRONIZE
                             STANDARD_RIGHTS_REQUIRED
                             FILE_GENERIC_READ
                             FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
                             FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
                             FILE_READ_DATA
                             FILE_WRITE_DATA
                             FILE_APPEND_DATA
                             FILE_READ_EA
                             FILE_WRITE_EA
                             FILE_EXECUTE
                             FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                             FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES

              build-PC\None:(special access:)
                            READ_CONTROL
                            SYNCHRONIZE
                            FILE_GENERIC_READ
                            FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
                            FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
                            FILE_READ_DATA
                            FILE_WRITE_DATA
                            FILE_APPEND_DATA
                            FILE_READ_EA
                            FILE_WRITE_EA
                            FILE_EXECUTE
                            FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                            FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES

              Everyone:(special access:)
                       READ_CONTROL
                       SYNCHRONIZE
                       FILE_GENERIC_READ
                       FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
                       FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
                       FILE_READ_DATA
                       FILE_WRITE_DATA
                       FILE_APPEND_DATA
                       FILE_READ_EA
                       FILE_WRITE_EA
                       FILE_EXECUTE
                       FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                       FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 09:09 -0700, Phil Wilson wrote:

> Take a look at that folder and the file at
> C:\cygwin\home\build\current\EUROPA\MyProgram.msi .
>
> That looks like a user-created folder, and it seems that the install fails
> as soon as it switches to the service to do the install. That file/folder
> may not allow access by the SYSTEM account.
>
> Phil

Found a workaround to permissions issues.
  icalcs MyProgram.msli /grant Everyone:(F)
Not sure why it's an issue, but this gets around it.