Quantcast

setting the installation directory

Baker, Steve

I want to set the default installation directory for my msi to D:\inetpub\appname if the application has never been installed and a D drive exists.

If there is a previous version of the application installed I want to set the default installation directory to where the previous version was installed.

If I use a property INSTALLDIR as this default value what is the best way to set it for the above circumstances

Thanks,

steve

Re: setting the installation directory

Rob Hamflett
Just use a CustomAction to set the directory value as if it was a
property.  I do this after AppSearch as that's when I look for certain
environment variables.

Rob

Baker, Steve wrote:

> I want to set the default installation directory for my msi to
> D:\inetpub\appname if the application has never been installed and a D
> drive exists.
>

> If there is a previous version of the application installed I want to
> set the default installation directory to where the previous version was
> installed.
>

> If I use a property INSTALLDIR as this default value what is the best
> way to set it for the above circumstances
>

> Thanks,
>

> steve

RE: setting the installation directory

Rob Mensching

There are lots of ways to do this depending on how your application is designed.  However, I think you'll need at least on CustomAction in here to do it all.  Take a look at what the RegistrySearch and other Search elements can do for you.  Also, you'll want to look at a Custom element can do with Directory.