single msi for 32-bit and 64-bit ??

Preethi S.
Hi,

Using WIX, I need to create an msi that should work in both 32-bit and
64-bit machines.

I need to use separate dlls based on the OS Architecture in which my msi
is to be installed.

Is there any way to achieve it??

Thanks,

S. Preethi.

Re: single msi for 32-bit and 64-bit ??

maksim.vazhenin
You can create separate components and use component conditions to install only the one which is needed for each OS.

-Maksim

Re: single msi for 32-bit and 64-bit ??

Pally Sandher
As repeated many times on this list, it's not possible with Windows Installer therefore it's not possible with WiX.

Windows Installer requires MSI's to have a platform specified which is generally either Intel for x86 platforms and either AMD64 or x64 for x64 platforms. x86 MSIs will install on x64 systems but be limited to x86 locations by the Windows-on-Windows (WOW) subsystem. If you need to access x64 locations on an x64 platform (such as Program Files or non WoW6432Node areas of the registry) you need a x64 package which can't be installed on x86 platforms.

nabble.com or mail-archive.com have list archives available on the web which you can search at your leisure.

Palbinder Sandher
Software Deployment Engineer
T: +44 (0) 141 945 8500
F: +44 (0) 141 945 8501

http://www.iesve.com
**Design, Simulate + Innovate with the <Virtual Environment>**
Integrated Environmental Solutions Limited. Registered in Scotland No. SC151456
Registered Office - Helix Building, West Of Scotland Science Park, Glasgow G20 0SP
Email Disclaimer

Re: single msi for 32-bit and 64-bit ??

Daniel Madill-2
Here is a link that gives an example of how to make a 32-bit and 64-bit installation from the same installer source (see "24 Answers" near the top of the linked page). It doesn't give all the details, but is a reasonable starting point:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/471424/wix-tricks-and-tips

Daniel Madill
Quanser Inc.
http://www.quanser.com

You can create separate components and use component conditions to install only the one which is needed for each OS.

-Maksim

Re: single msi for 32-bit and 64-bit ??

mistoll
As already pointed out MSI does not support mixed x86 and x64 installers. If you need a x64 installation explicitely, you can
Daniel Madill wrote
make a 32-bit and 64-bit installation from the same installer source
. But that gives you two files.

In addition to that you can use torch to create a transform file and use a bootstrapper like burn to call the msi according to OS.

Here's a fragment to clearify the idea. Please note that the ProductSearch is required in order to have a correct behavior.

<Fragment>
    <util:ProductSearch Guid="$(var.ProductCode)" Variable="Installed"/>
    <PackageGroup Id="MyPackage">
      <MsiPackage Id="MyPackage_32"
                  SourceFile="Setup_x86.msi"
                  Vital="yes"
                  InstallCondition="Installed OR NOT VersionNT64"/>
      <MsiPackage Id="MyPackage_64"
                 SourceFile="Setup_x86.msi"
                 Vital="yes"
                 InstallCondition="Installed OR VersionNT64">
        <MsiProperty Name="TRANSFORMS" Value="Setup_x64.mst" />
        <Payload Name="Setup_x64.mst"/>
      </MsiPackage>
    </PackageGroup>
</Fragment>

Michael

Re: single msi for 32-bit and 64-bit ??

Tobias S
Regarding the initial question for me WOW64 deployment frequently was
a choice where x86 or x64 assemblies are deployed based on VersionNT64
or (Not VersionNT64).

But in daily work I also tend to do the splitting of one solution into
2 MSI packages as in my experience this got frequently needed at later
stages of deployment projects. Possible configurations to simplify
customeers' life could be:

- BootstrapperEXE for chosing x86 or x64 MSI
- BootstrapperEXE for applying an x64 MST on a x86 MSI if running on
x64 (as described by mistoll)

For optimizing disk space possible optimization is: 3 cab files, one
with shared files one with x64 and one with x86 files:
See e.g.
http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/cabbing-for-both-32-64-bit-files-td5797219.html
or
http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/using-trhe-same-cab-between-two-different-configurations-td5594268.html

2011/5/13 mistoll <[hidden email]>:

> As already pointed out MSI does not support mixed x86 and x64 installers. If
> you need a x64 installation explicitely, you can
> Daniel Madill wrote:
>> make a 32-bit and 64-bit installation from the same installer source. But
>> that gives you two files.
>
> In addition to that you can use torch to create a transform file and use a
> bootstrapper like burn to call the msi according to OS.
>
> Here's a fragment to clearify the idea. Please note that the ProductSearch
> is required in order to have a correct behavior.
>

> <Fragment>
>    <util:ProductSearch Guid="$(var.ProductCode)" Variable="Installed"/>
>    <PackageGroup Id="MyPackage">
>      <MsiPackage Id="MyPackage_32"
>                  SourceFile="Setup_x86.msi"
>                  Vital="yes"
>                  InstallCondition="Installed OR NOT VersionNT64"/>
>      <MsiPackage Id="MyPackage_64"
>                 SourceFile="Setup_x86.msi"
>                 Vital="yes"
>                 InstallCondition="Installed OR VersionNT64">
>        <MsiProperty Name="TRANSFORMS" Value="Setup_x64.mst" />
>        <Payload Name="Setup_x64.mst"/>
>      </MsiPackage>
>    </PackageGroup>
> </Fragment>
>

> Michael

Re: single msi for 32-bit and 64-bit ??

Hamlet

Why the condition is

InstallCondition="Installed OR NOT VersionNT64"

What is meaning of Installed?