using WixUI_Advanced

johns@msli.com
In my wix msi I am giving the user a choice of per-user vs.
system-wide.

What is the best way to indicate a nested directory structure in
ApplicationFolderName?

Examples do not show how to do a nested directory structure.

My directory structure looks like this, where the product is nested
inside a folder named for the company, as there are many other products.
<!-- Directory Structure -->
<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
 <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder" Name="Pfiles">
  <Directory Id="MYPRODUCTSDIR" Name="$(var.MyCompanyName)" >
   <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" >
   </Directory>
  </Directory>
 </Directory>
</Directory>

In <Project> I added
 <UIRef Id="WixUI_Advanced" />

Can ApplicationFolderName look like this, where I spell out the directory nesting?
 <property Id="ApplicationFolderName" Value="$(var.MyCompanyName)\$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" />

Is this the right way to do it or is there something better?

Additionally, the dialog does not look exactly like a drop in
replacement for the simple radio selection bettween per-user vs
system-wide provided in the  Visual Studio Setup Project.  Is there a
way to get that behavior?

NOTICE: This email may contain confidential information.  Please see http://www.meyersound.com/confidential/ for our complete policy.

Re: using WixUI_Advanced

johns@msli.com
Has anyone had success copying WixUI_Advanced.wxs to a
Custom_Advanced.wxs and using it in your msi installer?

I end up with lots of errors like these:

     [exec] C:\cygwin\home\build\current\EUROPA\Source\wix_project\Custom_Advanced.wxs(37) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol 'CustomAction:WixSetDefaultPerUserFolder' found. This typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature) are unique.
     [exec] E:\delivery\Dev\wix37_public\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(37) : error LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.
     [exec] E:\delivery\Dev\wix37_public\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(38) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol 'CustomAction:WixSetDefaultPerMachineFolder' found. This typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature) are unique.
     [exec] C:\cygwin\home\build\current\EUROPA\Source\wix_project\Custom_Advanced.wxs(38) : error LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.
     [exec] C:\cygwin\home\build\current\EUROPA\Source\wix_project\Custom_Advanced.wxs(37) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol 'CustomAction:WixSetDefaultPerUserFolder' found. This typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature) are unique.
     [exec] E:\delivery\Dev\wix37_public\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(37) : error LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

I copied WixUI_Advanced.wxs to my project directory as
Custom_Advanced.wxs, and changed
From:
<         <UI Id="WixUI_Advanced">
To:
>         <UI Id="Custom_Advanced">

And in my Product element I added
<UIRef Id="Custom_Advanced" />

What Am I missing?  I'm following the Wix 3.6: A Developer's guide to
windows Installer XML.

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 09:31 -0700, [hidden email] wrote:

> In my wix msi I am giving the user a choice of per-user vs.
> system-wide.
>
> What is the best way to indicate a nested directory structure in
> ApplicationFolderName?
>
> Examples do not show how to do a nested directory structure.
>
> My directory structure looks like this, where the product is nested
> inside a folder named for the company, as there are many other products.
> <!-- Directory Structure -->
> <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
>  <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder" Name="Pfiles">
>   <Directory Id="MYPRODUCTSDIR" Name="$(var.MyCompanyName)" >
>    <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" >
>    </Directory>
>   </Directory>
>  </Directory>
> </Directory>
>
> In <Project> I added
>  <UIRef Id="WixUI_Advanced" />
>
> Can ApplicationFolderName look like this, where I spell out the directory nesting?
>  <property Id="ApplicationFolderName" Value="$(var.MyCompanyName)\$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" />
>
> Is this the right way to do it or is there something better?
>
> Additionally, the dialog does not look exactly like a drop in
> replacement for the simple radio selection bettween per-user vs
> system-wide provided in the  Visual Studio Setup Project.  Is there a
> way to get that behavior?
>

> NOTICE: This email may contain confidential information.  Please see http://www.meyersound.com/confidential/ for our complete policy.

Re: using WixUI_Advanced

Alain Forget
While I was just doing something similar with WixUI_Minimal, the problem was because of this:

<UI Id="ui">
        <InstallUISequence>
                <Show Dialog="InfoDlg" Before="ProgressDlg">NOT Installed</Show>
        </InstallUISequence>
</UI>
<InstallUISequence>
        <Show Dialog="InfoDlg" Before="ProgressDlg" Overridable="yes">NOT Installed</Show>
</InstallUISequence>

I get similar errors as you if I don't comment out one of those two Show elements. Mysteriously, this creates no problem in the default WixUI_Minimal.wxs & WelcomeEulaDlg.wxs, even though together they also make two references like this. Maybe we need to put one of them in a Fragment in a separate file, for some reason?

This problem aside, I've never succeeded in customising a WiX installer UI. :-s I have to guess I'm doing it wrong, but it sometimes really seems like pulling teeth for some (hopefully very good) reason.

Alain

[...]

From:
<         <UI Id="WixUI_Advanced">
To:
>         <UI Id="Custom_Advanced">

And in my Product element I added
<UIRef Id="Custom_Advanced" />

What Am I missing?  I'm following the Wix 3.6: A Developer's guide to
windows Installer XML.

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 09:31 -0700, [hidden email] wrote:

> In my wix msi I am giving the user a choice of per-user vs.
> system-wide.
>
> What is the best way to indicate a nested directory structure in
> ApplicationFolderName?
>
> Examples do not show how to do a nested directory structure.
>
> My directory structure looks like this, where the product is nested
> inside a folder named for the company, as there are many other products.
> <!-- Directory Structure -->
> <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
>  <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder" Name="Pfiles">
>   <Directory Id="MYPRODUCTSDIR" Name="$(var.MyCompanyName)" >
>    <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" >
>    </Directory>
>   </Directory>
>  </Directory>
> </Directory>
>
> In <Project> I added
>  <UIRef Id="WixUI_Advanced" />
>
> Can ApplicationFolderName look like this, where I spell out the directory nesting?
>  <property Id="ApplicationFolderName" Value="$(var.MyCompanyName)\$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" />
>
> Is this the right way to do it or is there something better?
>
> Additionally, the dialog does not look exactly like a drop in
> replacement for the simple radio selection bettween per-user vs
> system-wide provided in the  Visual Studio Setup Project.  Is there a
> way to get that behavior?
>

> NOTICE: This email may contain confidential information.  Please see http://www.meyersound.com/confidential/ for our complete policy.

Re: using WixUI_Advanced

John Cooper-2
Well, since you've got both the standard and the custom file referenced in your error messages, it looks like you're linking in both UI's.  Find the duplicate UIRef element and remove it.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Build & Install Engineer -- ESA

[...]

From:
<         <UI Id="WixUI_Advanced">
To:
>         <UI Id="Custom_Advanced">

And in my Product element I added
<UIRef Id="Custom_Advanced" />

What Am I missing?  I'm following the Wix 3.6: A Developer's guide to
windows Installer XML.

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 09:31 -0700, [hidden email] wrote:

> In my wix msi I am giving the user a choice of per-user vs.
> system-wide.
>
> What is the best way to indicate a nested directory structure in
> ApplicationFolderName?
>
> Examples do not show how to do a nested directory structure.
>
> My directory structure looks like this, where the product is nested
> inside a folder named for the company, as there are many other products.
> <!-- Directory Structure -->
> <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
>  <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder" Name="Pfiles">
>   <Directory Id="MYPRODUCTSDIR" Name="$(var.MyCompanyName)" >
>    <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" >
>    </Directory>
>   </Directory>
>  </Directory>
> </Directory>
>
> In <Project> I added
>  <UIRef Id="WixUI_Advanced" />
>
> Can ApplicationFolderName look like this, where I spell out the directory nesting?
>  <property Id="ApplicationFolderName" Value="$(var.MyCompanyName)\$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" />
>
> Is this the right way to do it or is there something better?
>
> Additionally, the dialog does not look exactly like a drop in
> replacement for the simple radio selection bettween per-user vs
> system-wide provided in the  Visual Studio Setup Project.  Is there a
> way to get that behavior?
>

> NOTICE: This email may contain confidential information.  Please see http://www.meyersound.com/confidential/ for our complete policy.

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution

Re: using WixUI_Advanced

johns@msli.com
Tracking the UIRef

MyProject.wxs: line 63:  <UIRef Id="Custom_Advanced" />

Custom_Advanced.wxs: line 121: <UIRef Id="WixUI_Common" />

Wix source:
src/ext/UIExtension/wixlib/Common.wxs: line 20: <UI Id="WixUI_Common">

So should I comment out the WixUI_Common reference?

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 22:08 +0000, John Cooper wrote:

> Well, since you've got both the standard and the custom file referenced in your error messages, it looks like you're linking in both UI's.  Find the duplicate UIRef element and remove it.
>
> --
> John Merryweather Cooper
> Build & Install Engineer -- ESA
> Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.(r)
> Shawnee Mission, KS  66227
> Office:  913-341-3434 x791011
> [hidden email]
> www.jackhenry.com

Re: using WixUI_Advanced

Alain Forget
You can try, but I'm thinking a lot of references to things in the Commons are going to break.

MyProject.wxs: line 63:  <UIRef Id="Custom_Advanced" />

Custom_Advanced.wxs: line 121: <UIRef Id="WixUI_Common" />

Wix source:
src/ext/UIExtension/wixlib/Common.wxs: line 20: <UI Id="WixUI_Common">

So should I comment out the WixUI_Common reference?

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 22:08 +0000, John Cooper wrote:

> Well, since you've got both the standard and the custom file referenced in your error messages, it looks like you're linking in both UI's.  Find the duplicate UIRef element and remove it.
>
> --
> John Merryweather Cooper
> Build & Install Engineer -- ESA
> Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.(r)
> Shawnee Mission, KS  66227
> Office:  913-341-3434 x791011
> [hidden email]
> www.jackhenry.com

Yes.  Commenting out WixUI_Common reference did not help.

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 19:09 -0400, Alain Forget wrote:

> You can try, but I'm thinking a lot of references to things in the Commons are going to break.

Edwin Castro-2
There must be a <UIRef Id="WixUI_Advanced" /> somewhere in your project
OR in a wixlib you are referencing... You might try grep WixUI_Advanced
(or equivalent) on all the files in your project and all referenced WiX
projects.

--
Edwin G. Castro

On 8/29/13 3:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Tracking the UIRef
>
> MyProject.wxs: line 63:  <UIRef Id="Custom_Advanced" />
>
> Custom_Advanced.wxs: line 121: <UIRef Id="WixUI_Common" />
>
> Wix source:
> src/ext/UIExtension/wixlib/Common.wxs: line 20: <UI Id="WixUI_Common">
>
> So should I comment out the WixUI_Common reference?
>
> On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 22:08 +0000, John Cooper wrote:
>> Well, since you've got both the standard and the custom file referenced in your error messages, it looks like you're linking in both UI's.  Find the duplicate UIRef element and remove it.
>>
>> --
>> John Merryweather Cooper
>> Build & Install Engineer -- ESA
>> Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.(r)
>> Shawnee Mission, KS  66227
>> Office:  913-341-3434 x791011
>> [hidden email]
>> www.jackhenry.com

I grep'ed for it and found only one UIRef in my code.

I'm trying to follow this with wix 3.7:
http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/wixui/wixui_customizations.html
Changing the UI sequence of a built-in dialog set

But just copying WixUI_Advanced.wxs to a new file name in my project and
changing the UI Id leads to this error:

  E:\delivery\Dev\wix37_public\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(37) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol 'CustomAction:WixSetDefaultPerUserFolder' found. This typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature) are unique.
  C:\cygwin\home\build\current\EUROPA\Source\wix_project\MyProgram.WixUI_MyAdvanced.wxs(37) : error LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

If I change my light.exe command line, by removing
   -ext WixUIExtension
I get Unresolved reference to symbol errors:
  error LGHT0094 : Unresolved reference to symbol 'Dialog:BrowseDlg'
but no duplicates.

If I comment out my modified WixUI_Advanced
  <UIRef Id="WixUI_MyAdvanced" />
I get no errors, but I don't get the dialogs.

My modified WixUI_Advanced.wxs  (named MyProgram.WixUI_MyAdvanced.wxs)
has one change:
from:
<UI Id="WixUI_Advanced">
to:
<UI Id="WixUI_MyAdvanced">

This is myProgram.wxs:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?include  $(var.wxi_variables)  ?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi"
    xmlns:bal="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/BalExtension"
    xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension"

  <Product
        Id="*"
        Language="1033"
        Manufacturer="$(var.MyCompanyName)"
        Name="$(var.MyInstallerName)"
        UpgradeCode="{$(var.Guid_Upgrade)}"
        Version="$(var.Version)"

        <!-- Main packed declaration -->
        <Package
          Comments="My Products - $(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version) Installation"
          Compressed="yes"
          Description="$(var.MyDescription)"
          InstallerVersion="301"
        />
        <!-- How data is packed inside the msi -->
        <!--
        <Media Id="1" Cabinet="contents.capab" EmbedCab="yes" />
        -->
        <MediaTemplate EmbedCab="yes"/>

        <!-- Directory Structure -->
        <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
          <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder" Name="Pfiles">
            <Directory Id="MYPRODUCTSDIR" Name="$(var.MyCompanyNameShort)" ShortName="livl8li5">
              <Directory Id="APPLICATIONFOLDER" Name="$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" ShortName="rclggtos">
              </Directory>
            </Directory>
          </Directory>
        </Directory>

        <!-- Files -->
        <Feature Id='Complete' Level='1'>
          <!-- Pulls in fragment file created by heat.exe or Paraffin3.1 -->
          <ComponentGroupRef Id='group_ProductFiles'/>
          <!-- Pulls in fragment file to creat Shortcut & Program File Icons & File association -->
          <ComponentRef Id="ProgramFileShortcuts" />
          <ComponentRef Id="DesktopShortcuts" />
          <ComponentRef Id="FileAssociations" />
        </Feature>

        <!-- Add Remove Programs metadata -->
        <Property Id="ARPHELPLINK" Value="$(var.HelpUrl)" />
        <Property Id="ARPURLINFOABOUT" Value="$(var.AboutUrl)" />
        <Icon Id='Compass.ico' SourceFile="$(var.ProdIcon)"/>
        <Property Id="ARPPRODUCTICON" Value='Compass.ico' />

        <!-- Icons for the installer -->
        <WixVariable Id='WixUIBannerBmp' Value='$(var.InstallBanner)' />
        <WixVariable Id='WixUIDialogBmp' Value='$(var.InstallDialog)' />
        <WixVariable Id="WixUILicenseRtf" Value="$(var.EULArtf)" />

        <!-- Using the Wix UI library
        <Property Id="WIXUI_INSTALLDIR">APPLICATIONFOLDER</Property>
        -->
        <!-- Allow per user or per machine -->
        <UIRef Id="WixUI_MyAdvanced" />
        <Property Id="ApplicationFolderName" Value="$(var.MyCompanyNameShort)\$(var.MyProductName) $(var.Version)" />
        <Property Id="WixAppFolder" Value="WixPerMachineFolder" />
        <Property Id="WixUIBannerBMP" Value="$(var.InstallBanner)" />
        <Property Id="WIXUI_EXITDIALOGOPTIONALTEXT" Value="Thank you for installing this product." />

        <!-- Major Update -->
        <MajorUpgrade
          AllowDowngrades="yes"
          Schedule="afterInstallValidate" />

        <!-- Always allow Upgrades and Downgrades -->
        <Upgrade Id="{$(var.Guid_Upgrade)}">
          <UpgradeVersion
                 Minimum="$(var.Version)"
                 OnlyDetect="yes"
                 Property="NEWERVERSIONDETECTED"
        />
          <UpgradeVersion
                 Minimum="0.0.0"
                 Maximum="$(var.Version)"
                 IncludeMinimum="no"
                 IncludeMaximum="no"
                 Property="OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED"
          />
        </Upgrade>
  </Product>
</Wix>
On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 16:55 -0700, Edwin Castro wrote:

> There must be a <UIRef Id="WixUI_Advanced" /> somewhere in your project
> OR in a wixlib you are referencing... You might try grep WixUI_Advanced
> (or equivalent) on all the files in your project and all referenced WiX
> projects.
>
> --
> Edwin G. Castro

> > Tracking the UIRef
> >
> > MyProject.wxs: line 63:  <UIRef Id="Custom_Advanced" />
> >
> > Custom_Advanced.wxs: line 121: <UIRef Id="WixUI_Common" />
> >
> > Wix source:
> > src/ext/UIExtension/wixlib/Common.wxs: line 20: <UI Id="WixUI_Common">
> >
> > So should I comment out the WixUI_Common reference?
> >
> > On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 22:08 +0000, John Cooper wrote:
> >> Well, since you've got both the standard and the custom file referenced in your error messages, it looks like you're linking in both UI's.  Find the duplicate UIRef element and remove it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Merryweather Cooper
> >> Build & Install Engineer -- ESA
> >> Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.(r)
> >> Shawnee Mission, KS  66227
> >> Office:  913-341-3434 x791011
> >> [hidden email]
> >> www.jackhenry.com

Found and Solved the issue modifying WixUI_Advanced.wxs

A comment by MarcusUA in the following URL states the issue:
 http://neilsleightholm.blogspot.com/2008/08/customised-uis-for-wix.html

The 'CustomAction's in WixUI_Advanced.wxs must be renamed or else they
will result in conflicting names in the original WixUI_Advanced.wxs, so
it's some sort of scope issue with CustomAction.

I stopped having issues after making the following replacements through
out the file:
WixSetDefaultPerUserFolder  to WixSetDefaultPerUserFolder2
WixSetDefaultPerMachineFolder to WixSetDefaultPerMachineFolder2
WixSetPerUserFolder to WixSetPerUserFolder2
WixSetPerMachineFolder to WixSetPerMachineFolder2

Now I can change things around.

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 18:50 -0700, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> </Upgrade>
>   </Product>
> </Wix>
> On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 16:55 -0700, Edwin Castro wrote:
> > There must be a <UIRef Id="WixUI_Advanced" /> somewhere in your project
> > OR in a wixlib you are referencing... You might try grep WixUI_Advanced
> > (or equivalent) on all the files in your project and all referenced WiX
> > projects.
> >
> > --
> > Edwin G. Castro
> >
> > On 8/29/13 3:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Tracking the UIRef
> > >
> > > MyProject.wxs: line 63:  <UIRef Id="Custom_Advanced" />
> > >
> > > Custom_Advanced.wxs: line 121: <UIRef Id="WixUI_Common" />
> > >
> > > Wix source:
> > > src/ext/UIExtension/wixlib/Common.wxs: line 20: <UI Id="WixUI_Common">
> > >
> > > So should I comment out the WixUI_Common reference?

neilt17
For this to work, you also need to redefine the custom actions as follows:

<CustomAction Id="WixSetDefaultPerUserFolder2" Property="WixPerUserFolder" Value="[LocalAppDataFolder]Apps\[ApplicationFolderName]" Execute="immediate" />
      <CustomAction Id="WixSetDefaultPerMachineFolder2" Property="WixPerMachineFolder" Value="[ProgramFilesFolder][ApplicationFolderName]" Execute="immediate" />
      <CustomAction Id="WixSetPerUserFolder2" Property="APPLICATIONFOLDER" Value="[WixPerUserFolder]" Execute="immediate" />
      <CustomAction Id="WixSetPerMachineFolder2" Property="APPLICATIONFOLDER" Value="[WixPerMachineFolder]" Execute="immediate" />