[ wix-Feature Requests-1266611 ] Add dependency on .NET 1.1 SP1

[ wix-Feature Requests-1266611 ] Add dependency on .NET 1.1 SP1

SourceForge.net
Feature Requests item #1266611, was opened at 08/22/05 14:40
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by sf-robot
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=642717&aid=1266611&group_id=105970

not just the latest update.
Category: compiler
Group: Next Release (example)

Initial Comment:
Recently I've been debugging a rather ugly bug. It was
an exception that began appearing suddenly (after some
editing to the .wxs file) and disappeared as soon as I
shuffled components, changed spacing etc.
Looking at the sources, it was a System.Xml error while
parsing WiX' internally-generated XML data (the one
with the <?ln ...?> processing instructions...).

I extracted the internally-generated XML data and
verified it with my own simple System.Xml-based loader.
System.Xml was making incorrect Parsing Error
accusations (which neither MSXML4 nor libxml made, and
which I couldn't make either after looking at the
file). Changing a space here and there in the file
seemed to make the parsing problem go away, suggesting
it's some ugly bug in the System.Xml implementation.

Luckily, after upgrading my .NET Framework 1.1 to
Service Pack 1, this problem went away, suggesting this
System.Xml bug was fixed.

Could we make SP1 a dependency (via manifest settings
or otherwise) of WiX so other users would save their
time banging their heads against the wall with this bug?
Thanks.

Date: 10/04/05 19:20

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=1312539

This Tracker item was closed automatically by the system. It was
previously set to a Pending status, and the original submitter
did not respond within 14 days (the time period specified by
the administrator of this Tracker).

Comment By: Derek (derekc)
Date: 09/20/05 15:33

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=518766

I've now added some catches with error messages directing
the user to SP1.  It turned out that the exceptions thrown
if SP1 was not present were pretty easy to isolate.  This
fix should be in the next drop.

Comment By: Derek (derekc)
Date: 09/16/05 16:22

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=518766

It's unfortunately not possible to create a dependency upon
service pack specific versions of a framework assembly.
However, I've submitted for review a fix that would catch
the most common scenario in which this bug manifests itself
and displays a notice directing the user to download SP1.
This should be sufficient for helping future users avoid the
pain you went through.